Chapter 20

The skies were down pouring as the young witch scurried to Knockturn Alley, cursing at the inconvenience of such a location.

She kept her head low, the hood of her cloak protecting her from wandering gazes, keeping to the outskirts of the pathway.

Finally reaching the inconspicuous alley, she traced her wand into a precise pattern on the brick wall, watching as it turned a bright green.

The bricks shifted to form a door and, after looking to make sure she was not followed, the witch quickly entered the flat, relieved to be out of the rain.

She dried her clothes and hair before rolling her shoulders back, held her head high like she'd been taught, and confidently strolled down a softly lit corridor.

She could hear the crackling of a fire before she saw it, and appreciated the warmth in the nearly empty drawing room.

The wizard she was here to meet sat with his back to her in an arm chair, holding a glass of firewhiskey but, even so, she curtsied and bowed her head.

"M'Lord."

"You're late."

She tried not to scowl. "I do have appearances to keep up, M'Lord."

"Congratulations," the wizard drawled, the ice clinking against the glass as he took a sip.

He was idly tapping his ring on the top of his cane where a silver snake was forged. She knew this is where he kept his wand.

"I'm disappointed in you," he continued, silvery eyes now connecting with hers.

"I understand," she said quietly, head still bowed.

"Do they suspect?"

Cho Chang and Colin Creevey making the Unbreakable Vow to her with expressions of disgust.

Handing the restricted book to Creevey that held the darkest of curses, blackening his easily manipulated heart.

Brewing the potion with Chang in the Room of Requirement, poisoning her mind with soft whispers.

Watching Granger jump off the Astronomy Tower from her Imperius Curse.

She allowed herself a smirk.

"Not at all, M'Lord."