Chapter 10 (Hermione)

Hermione took deep breaths while she and Draco stood just out of sight from the Great Hall and its occupants.

"Hermione, we don't have -"

"I'm not bloody ashamed of being with you, Draco Malfoy."

And this was true. She forgave him, not because of a formal verbal apology, but due to his actions. She remembered something Sirius had said to Harry long ago... there is both dark and light in all of us - what matters is the part we choose to act on.

"Ah, there's that fiery spirit... reminds me of us just an hour ago when you -"

Hermione's grumbling was incomprehensible as she shoved his shoulder, but he merely smirked when he captured her wrist and kissed her palm.

"We don't have to explain ourselves, Granger. If you're uncomfortable we can sit in the courtyard or, dare I say... the library." He dramatically winced at the latter and she couldn't help rolling her eyes with a smile.

Draco kissed her temple, interlaced his fingers with her's and led them confidently into the Great Hall.

Only a few seconds later did the loud chattering turn into whispers, and though her face warmed, she held her head high and sat next to him at the end of the Gryffindor table. She didn't like having her back to the other houses, but it was easier to ignore the staring and whispers this way.

Right as Hermione's leg became restless, Draco's hand was on her thigh and ankle hooked around hers. She flashed him a rueful smile while buttering her toast.

She could feel the stares burning a hole into her back and from fellow Gryffindors. If only she could look as casual as Draco already biting into his second green apple.

"What would happen if there were no green apples at Hogwarts?" she teased, knicking an untouched apple on his plate.

"I don't think such grotesque thoughts," he replied, narrowing his eyes at the apple she bit into. He then leaned in to her. "Though, how you make eating an apple look so sexy is beyond me."

Hermione loudly snorted, shaking her head.

She could vaguely recognize Ron and Harry's raised voices on the other end of the table but was choosing not to listen.

"Draco, will you tell your mum about us?"

He carefully interlaced his fingers with his elbows on the table, glancing at her with a clenched jaw.

"I will be telling Mother eventually, but I don't expect her blessing..." he hesitated. "My family has had an arranged marriage contract for me since I was 14... but it's rubbish." He quickly continued seeing her look taken aback. "I haven't signed it."

"I can't compete with that," Hermione said quietly.

Pureblood customs, most likely. It shouldn't be surprising, yet it was. Draco may be less prejudiced, but she doubted he would risk his family's name and inheritance for a Muggle-born he was softening towards the past few months. Why was she even thinking of marriage between them in the first place?

Merlin, they've only been a couple for a couple days! Stupid, stupid, stupid...

"Who?" she continued casually, taking a drink of pumpkin juice.

"There's no competition, Granger," he murmured. His eyes had hardened and she wasn't sure if he was convincing her or himself.

"This seat taken?"

They looked up to see a smirking Ginny holding hands with Harry who looked as if he'd rather be anywhere else. Hermione frowned at him.

"Not at all, Gin."