Chapter 17 (Hermione)

Pansy and Draco only had to glance at each other in shock before they were running towards the exit, a confused and muttering Theo following close behind.

When they stepped into the dreary corridor, a snogging Luna Lovegood and Blaise greeted them much to the latter's chagrin.

"Sod off," muttered Blaise but Luna noticed the tension quickly.

"What do you need, Draco?" she asked, her expression oddly serious.

"Send a message to Potter and Ginny to meet at the Hospital Wing. Then inform McGonagall," he instructed without preamble. "Nott, go find the bloody Aurors."

Despite Theo's confusion, the wizard saluted and took off.

"Expecto Patronum," Luna sighed whimsically, and immediately the corporeal manifestation of a Hare appeared in front of her.

Fascinating magic he wasn't privy to but now wasn't the time to watch with envy. He grabbed a mystified Pansy by the wrist and forcibly tore her gaze away to keep going.

"Draco needs you Harry..."

He couldn't help but make a face as they turned the corner and his scowl only deepened when he heard Pans giggle behind him.

A few minutes later and the pair had finally reached the corridor leading to the Hospital Wing.

"I feel like bloody Gryffindor," Pansy grumbled, her cheeks flushed from exertion.

"Was that a compliment?"

Potter and Ginny nearly ran into them, both looking just as winded.

"We were arguing with Dennis when we got your message," said Potter, surprisingly irate. "Git was actually refusing to give up the memory until Luna's patronus."

Draco didn't have time to think about the perplexity of Potter's words. "It's Cho Chang," said Draco, foregoing pleasantries. "And she's alone with Hermione."

Much to his annoyance, they had both opened their mouths to argue when a sudden burst of Magic could be felt in the corridor.

"You're bloody joking."

***

They both reached for their wands.

Cho pushed the bed enough with her hip so Hermione's wand was just out of reach. If she didn't feel so depleted, magic would have closed the distance like a magnetic pull.

"Now let's not be hasty," tutted Cho, with a smirk, her eyes glinting dangerously with her wand pointing at Hermione's heart.

"Why?" she whispered hoarsly. "I don't understand -"

"A first, surely," Cho mocked, her other hand grabbing Hermione's wand and pocketing it.

"Cho, let's think logically," Hermione started, attempting to make her tone neutral. "How does my death absolve anything? Evidence will lead -"

"There is nothing tying me to you... our mutual friend however... it's not my bloody problem. You Gryffindors are impulsive... arrogant..."

Her mouth twisted into a scowl.

"He thinks he's in charge, but none of this would be possible without you," Hermione reasoned carefully.

Keep her talking.

Cho grimaced. "The audacity to blame his mistakes on me! ME!"

The Ravenclaw was pacing now, shooting glances at the door.