Chapter 6 (Hermione)

After the discussion with McGonagall, Hermione found herself feeling fatigued and ready to sleep again. Malfoy had explained this was another effect of the Imperius curse and McGonagall excused her from classes for the rest of the day.

She was surprised to have fallen asleep immediately - in her bed, mind you - and not wake until the next morning. However her body and mind felt more refreshed and at ease. It was terrifying to have gaps in her memory from the previous night - the only recollection on account from Malfoy. Harry had tried to argue how Malfoy could be lying, but he couldn't explain why he would have brought it to their attention then in the first place. 

As Hermione changed and put on her school robes, she contemplated what more happened last night besides jumping off the astronomy tower. Malfoy hadn't mentioned how she awoke in his bed wearing his clothes. She had also been cuddled up against his side with his arm around her... but it had to have happened while they were both asleep. 

Her logical brain was having difficulty putting her feelings and thoughts into the same box - he had cared for her... he had danced with her. And when Malfoy placed a curl of her hair behind her ear she read more emotion in his eyes than ever before. They were cordial and sort of friends - nothing more... but why did heat flush her cheeks when she thought of him?

She groaned before putting her book bag over her shoulder and making her way down the stairs. 

"Good morning, Hermione."

Malfoy was waiting for her in their common room, his own book bag over his shoulder. 

"What are - why do you call me Hermione now, Malfoy?"

"We're friends are we not?" he said, a crooked grin now on his face, his silvery eyes twinkling at her.

Why was her heart pounding more than ever? 

"Yes... yes we're friends," she finally said, pursing her lips and fiddling with the strap of her book bag. 

"How did you sleep?"

They exited the common room, making their way to the Great Hall for breakfast.

"Very well, actually," she replied, sneaking a glance at him. 

He looked confident and relaxed, wearing his usual attire of black slacks and a white dress shirt, his Head Boy badge pinned to the front. His hair was tousled and not slicked back in that annoying pretentious manner it once was years before. He looked as he always have since they've been back to school and yet something was different. Was it because she knew of the muscular chest hidden underneath his shirt?

Soon she was looking into silvery eyes and had to quickly look away. 

He chuckled next to her and Hermione blushed from being caught.

"Something on your mind?"

She sighed. "I was hoping for an uneventful year at Hogwarts." This wasn't exactly a lie. Someone had tried to kill her. Harry did some investigating on the Astronomy Tower while she slept and owled her to confirm he found her shoes near the banister. 

They made their entrance into the Great Hall and found many students already seated; however when Hermione started making her way to the Gryffindor table, Malfoy was still at her side. 

"What are you doing?"

"McGonagall said to be with you at all times."

She rolled her eyes. "I'm sure I can manage staying safe while eating my biscuits and gravy."

He looked over at her with a smirk. "Are their rules Miss Granger on houses being unable to sit at different tables aside from the start and end of the year feast?"