Chapter 8: The Council

Start from the beginning

After minutes of crying, I sat and stared at the chaos Shael dealt. The mangled body of one of the witch soldiers was twitching, and for some reason, it didn't bother me. I directed my attention to Akibrius's dead body, one half staring at me. As I sat there, staring, I wondered if he felt any pain. suddenly my thoughts were interrupted. I heard multiple horses galloping in the distance, I wasn't able to pinpoint the direction it came from. It got closer and closer and was coming from the direction the Skull knight stood.

I got up, and frantically searched for my sword as the sound of the horses got closer and closer. I found it, and it was somehow still embedded in the soldier's head. Gripping the hilt tightly, I quickly pulled it out and stood in a defensive stance. 

The horses got closer and closer. My heart hammered away in my chest. If they attacked me, I would not live to see another day. The first horsemen came and I let out a sigh of relief, for they carried the banner of the sacred hand. Roger and Klayden followed close being on horses of their own. I lowered my weapon, I was overjoyed at seeing them here, I no longer had the strength to fight.

The knights dismounted their horses and drew their swords. Out of all the men that arrived here, one man stood out to me. His appearance told me he was in command, his hair was white as snow, and messily laid back on his head; however, his beard was trimmed and neat. For his age, his steps were swift and lively. The armor he wore was expensive and made of good quality, it was ornamented with the symbol of the Sacred hand order; a hand holding the hilt of a sword. The shoulder guard, that was close to his neck, was almost as big as his head. Connected to his shoulder armor, was a red cape, the pauldron on his arm was layered to allow a wide range of movement. The pauldron stopped at his elbow, and underneath was massive gauntlets.

 The pauldron stopped at his elbow, and underneath was massive gauntlets

"Alright, men! Spread-out, and secure the area!" He commanded loudly.

Roger and Klayden were running towards me. "Zarek!" Roger shouted. "Thank the gods you are alive!"

They both stopped in front of me, panting heavily. "Where's Shael?" Klayden asked looking around.

I was happy to see them, but it turned to sadness. I pointed in the direction where Shael lay. "You guys need to get her to a healer, quickly!"

We ran to where Shael lay, and under her nose was covered in blood. "What happened to her?" Roger asked, his voice cracking with concern.

"She overextended herself."

 Klayden looked to our left. He sucked in a breath and his eyes widened at the sight. Akilbrus's split body was something that would never leave our minds. A single tear ran down Roger's face. Quickly, he wiped it away and released a shaky sigh. "Never thought they would die here like this," he said while shaking his head.

Roger sprung to his feet, underneath his eyes were dark; he seemed to be tired and stressed. "Nothing we can do for them now, Shael is here, let's make sure it stays that way."