CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

Start from the beginning

Derek looked up from the tool in the Sheriff's hands. He glanced between the deputy and Sofia, confused on how they were so aquatinted with one another.

"That's military too," Parrish said once noticing the item in Stilinski's hands.

Stilinski handed the object to Parrish, "Do you know what it's used for?"

Parrish took a step closer, "Well, this one looks like it's been modified."

Stilinski and Derek shared a look before turning back to the deputy, "Show us."

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

"Okay, I think I got an IP address," Parrish announced as Derek, Sofia, and Stilinski leaned on the table behind him.

Stilinski stood and leaned over Parrish's shoulder, "That means we can find him, right?"

Parrish nodded, "Definitely. Especially if — " The axe murderer's glove suddenly made a whirring sound.

Sofia stood from her spot next to Derek and bent down next to Parrish, "What just happened?"

"I think I found a message," Parrish scanned the computer screen. "Does anyone recognize the handle Benefactor?"

Derek leaned over Sofia's shoulder to read the screen, "Money transferred. What does that mean?"

Stilinski slowly straightened his stance, "That means this guy is not just a killer. He's an assassin."

Parrish and Stilinski began to look over the file that was on the desk. Sofia could feel Derek's breath on her shoulder, cueing her in on how close he truly was.

She slowly turned her head the slightest bit and came face to face with him. Derek's eyes immediately found hers. Sofia couldn't help but look down at his lips for a split second. She quickly forced herself to look away and cleared her throat.

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

"You know, just because this guy connected to the school's Wi-Fi doesn't mean he's still here," Derek broke the silence as he, Sofia, and Stilinski walked into the empty high school.

"True. But, I've seen enough in this school to keep my gun in hand when walking in after dark," the Sheriff kept his gun raised as they slowly made their way through the hallway.

Sofia, who was standing on the other side of Derek, tried not to creep herself out, "Why would he choose the school of all places?"

"I don't know, why don't you ask him," Derek said in a smart-ass tone.

Sofia squinted her eyes at the man as they continued walking, "Why don't you— "

"Guys," Stilinski interrupted. His gun was aimed at something. Sofia and Derek followed his gaze and noticed a puddle of blood leaking out from a classroom.

Derek frowned, "That doesn't make sense."

"Yeah, no kidding," Noah quickly turned around to scan the area behind them.

"That's not what I mean. I should have caught the scent before we walked in," Derek looked around, slightly confused.

Sofia glanced at the man who held a hard look, "That's not worrisome at all."

Derek turned around and reached for the door handle. Stilinski quickly grabbed the man's wrist, "Hold on. You nervous makes me nervous."

The two looked between each other and the inside of the room for a moment. Sofia was antsy with their silence, "Alright, now you guys are making me nervous."

Stilinski slowly turned the door handle to crack it open. Derek squatted down to get a better look, Sofia leaning over his head.

"It's an explosive. A claymore," Derek explained after a moment. He slowly looked behind the girl and found the mouth-less murderer on the stairs, axe in hand.

"Get down!" Derek quickly wrapped his arm around Sofia's waist and threw her to the ground as he tackled Noah before an axe could make contact.

The axe man hopped over the railing and spun another axe in his hand. Derek was the first to stand and attack. Sofia leaned up and rolled her shoulder a couple times, having hurt it when Derek ferociously flung her.

Sofia stuck her arm out and aimed her hand at the attackers legs. He was swept off his feet at the sudden force that had flown in his direction. Derek continued fighting with the man as Sofia helped Noah get up.

The Sheriff quickly hobbled over and held his gun up to the man's face, "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one—"

"No! Peter, no!" Sofia looked up at Derek's yells and noticed an angry Peter running down the hall.

Sofia quickly blocked the man's path with her arms out, ready to expel energy his way. But he was too fast. Before Sofia had a chance to do anything, Peter was knocking the girl into the lockers.

Sofia groaned in pain as Peter clawed the axe murderer to death. Derek had pulled the Sheriff out of harms way again and they stood from the ground.

Stilinski aimed his gun at the wolf who simply shook his head before turning to walk away.

"We've learned a better way," Derek yelled after his uncle.

"I'm a creature of habit."

Sofia waited for the man to exit the hallway before saying anything. She had twisted to her side, her shoulder aching, "A little help here."

Derek moved around Stilinski and squatted down next to the injured girl, "Not so fun when it's you, is it?"

"Shut up," Sofia managed through gritted teeth. Derek held the smallest smile as he helped the girl to her feet. Sofia leaned against him for support as they left the highschool, Derek's arm around her waist.

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

haleshoe is typing...

HAHAHA who thought i was gonna kill her?
dw she's safe
for now :)

i also just realized that most of you found this book from that one tiktok edit of sofia like blowing up the police station so disclaimer for that👇

that was an actual scene i had written i promise! but i ended up deciding that it didn't fit w the book development so i scrapped it after i had already posted that tiktok lmaoo

sorry for leading yall on haha

thanks for reading! hope you enjoyed <3