|| 69 ||

𝟘𝟠𝕩𝟚𝟘

𝘍𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭𝘦 𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘐

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

That morning Natalie was at her office, earlier than usual. She was waiting for Derek to come and give her the news, only because she was not strong enough to found by herself, and she wasn't going to let her family go through this. "Hey, you look like you got the worst news of your life." She remarked when Derek walked into her office.

His face was serious and he kept looking at Natalie, like it was the last time he was going to see her. "How are you feeling?" He asked her as he took a seat opposite from her.

"I feel fine." She shrugged, even though she wasn't feeling fine. "I heard Meredith's interview went well. Are you guys moving or what?" She asked, trying to make some small talk about her friend's life.

"No, she wants to stay here actually." Derek played along, giving her a few minutes to get ready.

"Figures, Yang keeps telling me that there are too many hospitals that are asking for her and I am pretty sure we're going to lose another surgeon." She said and then she started laughing at herself. "I am stalling. This is typical." She sighed. "Okay, then bring it on."

"Shouldn't Mark be here?" Derek questioned, knowing that she was going to need him.

"So it means it's bad, right? Derek please..."

Derek opened his mouth to reply. But not words came out. He didn't want to be the person that changed her life. He couldn't possibly look in her eyes and tell her. And it felt like time froze in the few seconds Natalie was waiting for his answer. Derek looked away from her and softly shook his head, like he couldn't believe what he was about to say. Because he couldn't. 

"Okay, since you need a moment" Natalie commented. "I just want to thank you for everything. You're a good friend Derek. Actually you're my best friend. And you've done so much for me that I don't think I have time to repay you." She tried to crack a joke, but she didn't even earn a smile from Derek. 

"Don't joke about that Nat." He sighed. "But for whatever's worth, you're my best friend too."

"I am not hugging you." She joked making Derek chuckle this time. "Just tell me. It's okay."

"The diagnosis is stage four brain tumor with metastasis to the lungs and it's started getting to the bones." He informed her. And Natalie was not as surprised as she thought she would be. It was like she already knew it. But she didn't know what Derek was about to tell her. "But Natalie. There's something else."