OCTOBER || Part 3

3 days passed. 2 more until the snow came. Wilbur was making his rounds with Phil to check up on the progress everyone had made. Nobody yet knew about the letter they received nor the information on George. They'd all asked, for sure, but Wilbur was waiting for the right time to bring it up.

As for the fight Wilbur and Phil had, they didn't apologize to each other yet or even talk about it. Again, Wilbur was looking for the right time. He had been all over the place the last few days checking on everyone and making rushed preparations, so he didn't have any time to sit down and properly discuss it. There would be much time to do that during the winter when there wasn't much else to do. But right now, he needed to be a leader rather than a son.

Wilbur went to the Community House and stood in front of the door, a silver bell hanging quietly beside it. The day before, Tommy went to Wilbur.

"I think it would make sense to have a bell to ring when you call meetings instead of someone running around the whole village." Tommy had said. Wilbur agreed it was a good idea, so made the bell himself using the metal from a broken sword. He looked at the bell now and took hold of the string that hung just below it. It didn't take much force at all to make a sound loud enough that the whole village would hear.

The ringing was soft like the sound of a fairy yet just as loud as a man yelling into the wind. It worked quite well, but Tommy would never shut up about how it was his idea in the first place.

Eventually, doors started opening and people started walking towards the Community House. Wilbur walked in and took his regular seat, adjusting his hat while doing so. This wouldn't be the same as other meetings. He knew as soon as he rang the bell.

One by one they came in and took their seats, yet not a single word was spoken. The rushing of preparations had not only made everyone exhausted, but also made dread and worry a constant feeling. So no one spoke, for nobody even had the energy to sit up straight on the benches they sat on. But even though no words were whispered, everyone understood the silence and accepted it. They knew the exhaustion everyone was feeling because they felt the same, even Wilbur.

Once everyone had arrived and sat down, Wilbur didn't speak for another two minutes. He was silently thinking, calculating, and planning all at the same time while staring into the flames of the large fire in the center of the room.

"Will," Phil put a hand on Wilbur's shoulder. Wilbur looked up at his father. "Everyone's here. You should start now." Wilbur sighed as he looked at the ground and closed his eyes for a moment, but a voice made him look back up.

"It's been getting more and more cloudy, Wilbur," Eret said. "I don't know about you, but I think it might snow a little earlier than you thought."

"We have two days left until it snows. I know that to be true, you have my word," Wilbur said. "But because you've started the conversation, let's start off with you." He put his hands on his knees and stood. "Eret, Tubbo. Update on your tests." Eret cleared his throat and stood as well.

"Tubbo and I have made amazing discoveries and have successfully found a way to make plants grow the same amount in a single night that would normally take half a week." Eret looked down at Tubbo. "We're in the process of moving our current plants to the new soil." He looked back at Wilbur. "They'll be ready in exactly 2 days, right in time for the snow." Wilbur nodded.

"Perfect," His gaze shifted to the other side of the room. "Tommy, Niki. I hope you also have good news." Niki and Tommy looked at each other. Niki was the first to look away as she stood. Tommy crossed his arms and stared at the ground.

"I'm sorry," Niki started. "We didn't find much." Wilbur took a breath as his thoughts scattered. Their job was the most important and without their success... Wilbur put Tommy in charge of that because Tommy always got everything done, no matter what. He was surprised about the outcome.