"I'm a detective, you know?"

The Guardian smiled at her mother's answer.

"Some people at the inn saw them get captured by Zaheer's crew," said Lin after Asami asked about Mako and Bolin, "we don't know here they are."

Before Rae could say anything, she left a shiver jolt through her body. She grabbed Iroh's hand tight as she turned towards the radio.

"Once again, the Earth Queen's reign has come to an abrupt and violent end. Ba Sing Se has descended into chaos. Rioters and looters have overrun the palace."

Rae's eyes widened. She had no sympathy for the Earth Queen, never had, but her death wasn't something she wanted. She heard Korra talk to her father, but she couldn't concentrate on anything. Her hands went to her chest pocket where she found the small nugget of platinum and her eyes narrowed. She felt the metal contract in her grip as she listened to Korra's words.

"I'm afraid this is only the beginning."

~

Rae was sitting with Iroh by her side at one of the tables. Korra and Asami were with them, and the Avatar complained about the threat Zaheer posed. Rae was twisting the platinum nugget in her fingers molding it and gaining familiarity with the metal. She was still surprised she was able to bend it, but now she needed to focus on controlling her ability.

"Rae?" asked Korra, making the woman raise her head, "Why is your fight with the Red Lotus personal?"

At the words, the Guardian froze. Lin, who was sitting a few feet away from then at another table, spit the drink she had in her mouth, and Iroh stopped tapping his fingers impatiently.

"What?" asked Rae quietly, "my fight with them isn't personal."

Korra narrowed her eyes at the tone Rae used. "But it is," argued the Avatar.

The Beifong woman scoffed and shook her head. "No, it's not," she said, feeling her anger spike, "my fight with Ming-Hua is personal, but I don't give a damn about the others."

The Avatar thought for a few moments. She looked at Rae's face, her eyes glued to the cut on her cheek that started to heal before her eyes dropped on her hands. Her right hand was still bandaged but Korra easily saw the old scars that looked awfully close to her new wounds.

"Did she do that? The old ones?"

At the first question, Rae wanted to nod almost immediately. But when Korra's second question broke through her lips, the Guardian didn't know if wanted to answer anymore. Still, with a low groan, she nodded, before her attention went back to the platinum nugget. But Korra wasn't finished.

"When?"

"Six years ago," stated Rae bluntly, making Korra remember what Tenzin told her about the criminals.

The Avatar tried to ask another question, but Naga quickly got up from Korra's side and ran outside the tavern, followed by Pabu.

"Well," started Rae, getting to her feet, "Mako and Bolin are here."

Korra's eyes widened and she jumped to her feet before running out of the tavern with Asami close behind her. Rae sighed and rose from her chair. She left a soft hand on her shoulder, and she pressed her hand upon it.

"Are you ok?" asked Iroh gently.

The woman nodded and walked away, not letting go of the man's hand that was still on her shoulder. Outside, they watched the interactions between Bolin, Mako and the two girls. Soon, Lord Zuko, Lin and Tonraq joined them.

"Good," said Lin, "You guys aren't dead."

"Don't get all mushy on me, chief," exclaimed Mako, "Rae, Tonraq, general, sir."

Rae bowed her head slightly when Mako spoke her name. Bolin turned to them, and his eyes became wide. He stared at Lord Zuko and slowly advanced towards the group.

"Oh, my gosh. It's lord Zuko! I can't believe it!"

The two Beifong women stifled a few laughs while Iroh scratched his head, a little embarrassed.

"Uh, forgive my brother," said Mako while pulling Bolin away from the former fire lord, "We're just really honored to meet you, sir."

They both bowed and Zuko smiled, "It's a pleasure to meet you as well."

The Guardian sighed and smiled. Bolin turned to her and, before she could stop him, he threw himself on her, crushing her in a hug. She struggled for a few seconds before Mako realized his brother's actions and he forcefully pushed Bolin away. The firebender send Rae an apologetic look before he glanced at his grandmother and his eyes widened.

Not even a few seconds after he left, Bolin latched himself on Rae arm again. However, when he saw Iroh's cold and intimidating stare, he backed down and laughed awkwardly. He saluted the man and said, "Capt—General! General, hello!"

Rae laughed at the boy's awkwardness. He glanced back at her before again at Iroh and muttered a small 'I'll have to steal Rae for a second' before he grabbed Rae's forearm and dragged her towards Mako, Asami and Korra.

"How did you escape?" asked Korra.

"Zaheer let us go," said Mako before glancing at Bolin.

"Why would he do that?"

"Because he wanted us to find you and deliver a message," said Bolin, and Rae felt his heart beat faster.

"Zaheer is headed to the northern air temple as we speak. He said he's gonna wipe out the new air nation and everyone in it unless you turn yourself over to him."

~