Chapter thirty-eight - What did I do wrong?

Start from the beginning

- I still can't understand why you date a b***h. You deserve better.

- Like you? No thanks. I prefer to be alone instead of being dating you. Now I have to go.

I walk away and the next person I saw was Lexi. No matter that I was with her like three hours ago, it felt like three weeks. This morning was fun. If all were like that. I want too much, right? I get closer and gave her a back hug. She looked at me a little bit surprised.

- Hunter, what are you doing here? You were supposed to be in bed. You need to rest, you know?

- I know, but I get bored. Lexi, I can't stay in bed all day.

- But you need to recover completely. I know that you are still in pain in some places.

- I understand, but I can't stay all day at home.

- You know what? Do what you want. If something happens, the only one who you should blame is yourself. - she said and left

I guess I came here for nothing. I walk around the school, but I didn't see her. When I walk out I saw that she is gone. I tried to call her, but there was no response. I'll wait until she comes back home.

Now it's almost dinner time and Lexi is still not at home. Did she really get mad at me for going out? I can't stay all day in the house. Plus I need to walk to feel better. I hate when we argue. Basically, we both hate it, but somehow we still do it from time to time.

- Hunter, dinner is ready. Will you come? - Katy asked me

- Did Lexi come home or she is still who knows where?

- She did just a minute ago. Why she looks mad? Did something happen?

- It's a long story. The short version is that I walk out to see her for lunch and she gets mad for it.

- Well... let's go for dinner now. Everyone is waiting for us. We can talk later.

We went downstairs and I sit next to Lexi. She refused to look at me. I guess that she is still mad at me. I decide to leave her for now. I don't want to talk in front of everyone about it.

- Lexi, you are really quiet today. Is everything ok? - her mom asked

- Yes, it's ok. I just had a sh*tty day at school, thanks to some people.

- Is everything ok at school? What happened?

- Just when some people came, they ruined my day. That's it.

- Ok, are you seriously still mad at me? Is it a crime to come and see you? - I couldn't hold it anymore

- Yes, it is. You were supposed to stay in bed. Not walking around.

- I can't stay inside all day. I get bored, plus some fresh air will be good. And if I want to get better I need at least to walk. I need movement.

- Yes, when you feel ok and ready to do it. You know what, do what you want. I don't want to be a babysitter. - she said and went into the backyard

- What did I do wrong? She is mad at me the whole day for that. I wanted to make-up, not to make it worse.

- Hunter, you have to understand that Lexi is still scared. Give her time to accept the fact that you are alive. You couldn't see it, but she was heartbroken. She can't forget it that easily. You may not realize it, but no matter that she has friends and that now she is on good terms with her parents, you still be the most important person for her. I know that it can piss you off, but if not for yourself, do it for her. She loves you so much and all she wants is you to be ok. Is it so hard for you to understand it? - Katy asked me

- I... never thought this way. But I don't want her to take care of me. This is my job.

- And once you recover you will do it. I know why you want it and I understand you, but let her do it once.

I nodded and walk into the backyard. I sit next to Lexi, but she refused to look at me. Katy is right. There will be times in which I'll need her. And now I do more than everything.

- Lexi, I'm sorry. Will you stop being mad at me?

She didn't answer. I saw a tear rolling down her cheek. Damn it! I really messed up this time. The last person from who I want her to cry is me. I turned around to see her father. He gave an encouraging smile.

- Please Lexi, talk with me. I'll do whatever you want, even if it's something that I don't like. I don't care are you mad at me, but please say something. The silent treatment is the worst.

- The worst, huh? How do you think that I took it? Before you wake up I spend days with it. You didn't say a word. Not like you could. Today you didn't even think of me. I'm not mad at you. Just disappointed. What if something had happened? You never thought of that, right?

I didn't answer. She is right. I never thought of it. I can feel her pain. It is still there and I can't make it go away. All I'm doing is to mess up.

- Won't you say something?

- I... you are right. I'm sorry that I did this to you. But please don't get mad. Talk with me. I want to make up the things.

- Just leave me alone. I need some time for myself.

- But Lexi...

- I said to leave me. I don't want to talk with you. All that you did today is enough. I want to be alone and not with you, so you better...

But before she could finish, I kissed her. Maybe I can't find the right words to say how much I'm sorry, but at least I can show it. I pulled her close to make sure that she won't walk away. Soon she kissed me back. After a while, we pulled apart.

- I don't want us to argue Lexi. I hate it and I know that you too. Please can you forgive me? I need someone to fight when there are other girls checking me out. I need someone who I can calm down. I need someone who will be with me all the time. I need you.

She didn't say anything but instead kissed me. Does this mean that everything is ok? I hope so. I won't take another hour of her being mad at me.

- So does this mean that you are forgiving me?

- I will if you promise me to never do this again. Or at least until you recover completely, ok?

- Yes boss. I promise never to do this again until you let me. - I chuckled

With that, she snuggled in me. I have never imagined that I would love that, but I do. Especially when Lexi does it. I am crazy about her. I never thought that a girl can change my life so much, but I am happy that it happened. I don't know what I was going to do without her. Lexi is the only part of me which I'll never let walk away.