In Matron Rionoch's Grip

McDaurn Family Farm

Lewis County, WA, USA

10 August, 1986

1238 Hours

"Take them both in here. They will need to be made docile with one another present so that they understand that even together they are only boys, that they only exist to serve the needs of the family and the commands of their girl." The heavyset aunt who was accompanying the four men dragging us said. Her voice was arrogant, and all I could think of was grabbing her by the head and twisting it until it popped off like the top of a soda bottle.

"You gonna call Annie's parents? Let them know that we have them?" One of the men carrying Bomber asked. It was Cabhan, one of my cousins, a few years older than me.

"Already done." The woman said. "Right now it is important that we gentle these two while the Matrons attempt to convince that kelly to join our family."

"What do we need her for, Matron Rionoch?" Another asked. Conall, another cousin, and one that loathed me. It was OK, the feeling was mutual.

"Her blood is strong, she has held these two's hearts in her fist, stood with them in combat, shed blood with them. She will always have a bond to them, always have a claim upon their hearts and souls." the Matron said. "The McDaurns have always taken the blood of the strong when it is offered." She chuckled. "You saw her. She is imposing, strong, and will bear strong daughters for the family."

They swung the yoke around so I faced a door. Large, heavy, made of oak, banded with inlaid and engraved copper. The door was carved, the Great World Tree, runes of boys and girls throughout the years. My eyes fell on a set of three intertwined runes.

Me, Innie, and Logan.

The door was pushed open, and the smell of the room washed over me. Incense, wood smoke, old blood, and fear. The light was turned on, dimly illuminating the room, leaving it mostly in shadows. I could see the iron rings in the ceiling and on the walls, see the spools of heavy brass cables, and most of all, the implements used to punish boys who needed extreme measures.

The four men wrestled John and me into the room. Soon the yokes came off, but before we were much more than just aware of it, leather cuffs had been put on our wrists and we were lifted up by thick brass cables until our feet were scraping the floor.

Matron Rionoch lit the braziers at the walls. One in each corner, one in the middle of each wall, with the exception of the wall with the door, which had one on each side of the door. Nine brazier in all. I saw her toss herbs into each of them, the smoke slightly purple.

"We will give them time for the tea to fully take effect." Matron Rionoch stated. She fluffed her skirts and chivvied the four men out of the room. Before she left she touched the cleverly hidden light switch and the room dimmed to only the light provided by the braziers.

We hung there in silence for a long time. Bomber was mumbling to himself and I was staring at the patterns on the walls thrown by the braziers as the flames died down to coals.

"We're in trouble, aren't we, Ant?" John suddenly asked. He coughed. "Fucking smoke."

"Yeah, we're in trouble, brother." I answered. I could feel the smoke, the incense, seeping into my lungs, from there to my bloodstream, and I knew that it was affecting my brain.

"Think those bastards broke a couple of my ribs." He said. He spit on the floor. "Goddamn, I can't get that taste out of my mouth."

"How much do you remember?" I asked him.