Chapter 15: Donnerschlag Part 2

Start from the beginning

"You've sent them in?"

Schmidt coughed loud as he said "Ja" over the phone so that no one else could hear it.

"And damage control for what they'll do?"

Schmidt let out a snicker.

"When was that ever a problem? The results they deliver are nothing short of... impeccable."

Scenes and reports of Schmidt's 'cards' causing untold damage and trouble back in the Rabany continent in Yggdra come to mind. While the government publicly denied the ruckus as anti-government propaganda and fabrications, he himself has seen the true scale of what had happened. Hearing that Schmidt's boys were back in action, he shudders, which Schmidt could tell from the utter silence that prevailed for five whole seconds.

"...Give them my regards."

"Of course!"

A "kachak" echoed from the other side of the telephone before dead silence took its place. With the conversation over, Schmidt put the telephone back on the receiver. The anxieties of the other man rubbed off on him, prompting him to take a deep breath before exhaling an equally hearty amount of air. He then takes a look at his office-the designated space for him in the building that he himself rarely uses. Bored with its unappealing, undecorated simplicity, he yearned to be back in his villa in the countryside. Just as he got lost in imagining the splendid view of the lush, green pastures of Hochgarten, his mental getaway was abruptly cut short by the sound of his office door opening. Through it came a person dressed in a white office shirt, khaki slacks, and his neck adorned with a color-coded tie that meant he belonged in the Abteilung KS-Dienst, the department dealing with cryptanalysis and language analysis.

"Director. There's an urgent matter that requires your presence in a meeting with the department heads."

Schmidt's eyes sparkled as he licked his lips at the possibility that this was something incredibly juicy.

"Sure... But son, could you be bothered to spoil me some details ahead of the meeting?"

The man cleared his mouth as Schmidt looked at him with his mouth agape, savoring the last few moments of ignorance before he was drawn in by a possible new interest.

"Something regarding an incident in the far east in what the locals call the 'Third Civilized Area' that the Muish keep bringing up over and over again. Apparently, a yet-to-be-named nation toppled a large feudal kingdom with an extremely precise airstrike on the leadership."

Schmidt clapped his hands as mixed emotions of surprise, curiosity, and anxiety reflected on his face as a wide grin. He then stood up from his chair.

"Wunderbar! Sounds like a worthy topic!"

Somewhere in Leiforia, Federal Empire of Leifor, 10:50

"Alright..."

A man dressed in dark clothing under a dark, ammo-filled, military-grade vest groaned as he landed on the moist, mossy floor in an underground sewage system. Revolting from the putrid smells of wastes and other filth, he immediately pulled up his black balaclava to cover his mouth and nose. Behind him, similarly dressed men drop onto the floor from the ladder leading up to the surface. With their six-man team all accounted for, the leading man then checked his wristwatch. Maneuvering his right arm towards the light leaking from the opening above, he sees the hands pointing to the time: 10:50.

"Almost time for the party. Let's make sure that the guests of honor show up."

The other men snickered and snorted behind their balaclavas as they pulled their Strauss MP5 submachine guns slung around their bodies. Now that they were ready, the leading man turned to the direction from where the water was flowing from, following the dark path ahead. Some ways down the path, they came across an opening in the wall to the left, presenting a well-lit path leading down to somewhere. Pulling out a crude drawing of a map of the system, the leading man looked at it and back towards the opening before he remarked.