29/XXIX: The Birthday Flower

~Lotus~

Sunday, October 13th, 2019

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR LOTUS!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU~!"

My birthday had finally arrived. My bestie left me a voicemail with her family singing Happy Birthday through the receiver. Need I to say, they all had voices of angels just harmonizing like that.

"And many more~!" Of course, Indy, the goofy person she is, added the ending with her beautiful voice. There was laughter and then it cut off.

I was pleased by the numerous text messages and voicemails I received containing birthday wishes. I even got birthday cards and gifts from my family through the mail. I couldn't answer everything I got since I was already busy answering other phone calls this early afternoon.

Though, as much as I wanted to stay home and lie around, I wanted to go out and do things. A lot of places were closed because of the Bible Belt, or in some cases they're closed because they want weekends off. I wanted to see what wasn't closed and treat myself to a nice birthday. I knew only one place that wasn't closed on Sundays.

~❦~

Arrived at my favorite cafe minutes later after taking the bus. There's no other place I'd rather be, besides my own place and my bestie's place. I would've driven since I have a car, but I liked saving gas and taking a different mode of transportation sometimes. As soon as I entered the joint, every single employee, even Indy's daddy, yelled out Happy Birthday to me. Scarlette, Indiana's girlfriend, came around the counter and hugged me. She's the sweetest when it comes to birthdays. I mean, she's sweet in general, but she's a tight hugger when a birthday comes around.

"¡Feliz cumpleaños, Lotus!" The joy in her youthful voice really could cure anything, if it had that kind of power. "Beautiful flower crown!"

"¡Gracias, mejor amiga! Hey, where's your man? Don't he usually work on Sundays?" Which was true. The only time Indiana would put off working on Sundays is when he has plans, he's sick, or if something happens to his close ones. I assumed that today he just had plans. Indy would've told me about the other two possibilities.

"Well, he is busy with something. I can say that much. He didn't tell me what it was, but I trust that he's working really hard or something of the sort."

That response was kinda off-putting. I didn't want to think this, especially on my special day, but it sounded like Indiana was foolin' around and lying to Scar through his teeth. I wasn't even sure, because Indiana was a way better person than that. However, for now, I had to take Scar's word for it and not think about it.

"Would you like a dessert before I clock out for the day?" When she asked that, I immediately said yes. Ever since I met her last year, Scar always loved catering to birthday folks. However, sometimes she'd forget that they get free dessert by default whenever she'd volunteer at the restaurant. Since the store was already a successful local restaurant for almost 35 years, it could afford to give away free food.

When I was waiting for my free birthday dessert, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I briskly turned around to see that it was Ellery. Things could've gone better, but it's my birthday. I didn't want to be rude and shoo her away.

"Aye," she said. She had that silly smirk on her face.

"Hi..."

"Didn't think I would see you again."