Zwei | Two

Lotte Müller-Hoffmann
I'm almost there. Had to finish an order. 5 mins

Lotte quickly put on her coat and grabbed her phone from her desk. Not only was she a marketing intern, but also the translator when tourists came in the shop who could barely speak English, but German or French, or the employees couldn't speak proper English, or German or French. "I will be back in an hour," she mentioned her boss Martina when she walked out of the shop.

"See you soon."

Luckily, the lunch cafe was just five minutes away from the pastry shop. It was busy, there were a lot of tourists. Lotte entered the lunch cafe and looked around, there was a queue for a table. But there was Shirley, she was on time and reserved a table. She waved at Lotte, making Lotte leave the queue and walk over to her friend.

"Hey," Shirley greeted and gave Lotte a short hug.

"Hello," Lotte said and put off her coat. "I'm sorry for being late," she breathed and sat down.

"No worries, I already ordered a cappuccino," Shirley smiled.

"Angel," Lotte thankfully said. "I'm not only the marketing intern, but also the translator. And when these German tourists find out that you're German, they won't leave."

Shirley laughed. "Poor girl. But you also can't say no."

"I know, that makes it even worse."

The two cappuccinos were served, and they ordered something to eat.

"How's life?" Lotte carefully took a sip.

"Good, actually. I'm still not used to this work experience, I mean, it's basically work, but we have to write a thesis at the same time. It's impressive, but it's good. It's fun so far," Shirley answered.

Lotte nodded. "I keep forgetting your company."

"Software company," Shirley mentioned. "It doesn't have a wow factor, nobody remembers it," she chuckled. "I mean, you're working at one of the most famous pastry shops, everybody knows it. How's that?"

"It's fun, they're all really kind, and they show me everything around the shop. But it's too early to give a full review, we've been only there for two weeks, no."

"That's true. But the first impression is what counts."

"True."

"But Lot, I intern at this software company, and it's brilliant. I'm the only woman, it kinda sucks, but it's brilliant. There is no gossip, no talking behind our backs, so no glitter and glamour, just straight to the point. It's amazing. Last year, when I interned at the parliament, people were only busy with their looks, gossip, and reputation. This year... I could walk in with my ugliest hoodie and no makeup, and they wouldn't notice it. For once, men are better," Shirley dramatically told, but you could see the relief in her eyes.

It made Lotte smile. Let's say the last internships were disasters, to both of them. However, Shirley struggled the most with it. The two friends and classmates continued talking about their lives. Lunch was served.

Suddenly, Lotte noticed something. The waiter passed them multiple times... while looking at Shirley. He just found reasons to talk to Shirley. "There he comes," she mumbled when the waiter walked in their direction.

"Ladies," the waiter said and looked first at Lotte, then at Shirley, allowing him to make longer eye contact with Shirley. He started to talk to Shirley about the lunch in Dutch.

Lotte could understand it, and she could even say words back, but she decided to leave it all up to Shirley. An amusing smile came on Lotte's face when Shirley started to blush. Adorable, she thought. Lotte grabbed her phone, checking some messages.