Chapter 37 - Ultimatum

The sun beamed down on Jason's face, highlighting the outline of his angelic frame. Smoke blew out of his lips as he puffed on the lit cigarette that was placed in between his fingers. The burning ashes were flicked on the ground as the cigarette grew shorter and shorter by the minute. After finding out the news from the doctor, Jason decided to simmer down his temper since Zoey had risen it with her "annoying know it all mouth" as Jason would call it. He took a few more puffs and threw it on the ground, putting it out with the tip of his shoe, squishing it as he forced his toe into the ground.

After fishing for his phone out of his pocket, Jason decided to give his dad a call just to let him know the news about Anna. It wouldn't be the news he wanted to hear, but he still needed to know. The dial tone emitted into his ear as he waited patiently for the jail to connect him to his father. In the middle of his throat, his adam's apple slid up and down as he gulped down his saliva.

"Hello?" A raspy tone spoke. Jason curled in his bottom lip, making it moist. "Hey Dad, It's Jason, I just thought I would call and tell you what was going on with Anna and Abby." There was a slight pause.

"What about them?" Jeremy said in a serious tone. He was clueless. Before answering, Jason heaved a sigh and scratched the back of his neck.

"Anna overdosed, she was rushed to the hospital this morning, so I am here to pick up Abby, and take her home with me." The call was silent. "Dad?"

Jason took after his dad when it came to getting news and handling their emotions. Which... they didn't take bad news too well.

"I want you to take good care of her Jason, she deserves to be taken care and happy... I just wish I could be there to take your place."

"Dad, I promise nothing will happen to her, she is in my hands and if you want... when you get out of jail, you can move down here with me and get away for a bit."

"I don't know son, I'll see how everything works out when I get out of this shit hole, but it won't be long and I'll be the free man I once was." Jason slightly curved a smile onto the corner of his lips. When his dad called him "son" it made him feel like he was accepted and loved. That was the one thing he was searching for.

Their phone call ended, and Jason was already calmed down a bit, the only thing that was missing was a blunt in his mouth and a case of the munchies. With his hand in his pockets, Jason walked back into the hospital where he left Zoey and Abby alone together. The little spat match they had was already behind them, but Zoey obviously was going to have an attitude with him.

As Jason entered the room, Zoey and Abby were surrounding Anna's hospital bed. Zoey craned her neck, eyeing Jason for a sec and rolling her eye's to the back of her head in annoyance when she noticed it was him. A smirk curved onto his lips at the sight. Abby's lips curved into a smile as Jason approached them.

"Where did you go?" Abby had her arms raised, waiting for Jason to pick her up and sit her on his side. "I had to go calm myself down."

Abby buried her nose into Jason's shoulder, inhaling his scent. A few seconds later, she picked her head up and scrunched her nose up. "You smell like smoke." Zoey and Jason chuckled at her words. "He stinks doesn't he?" Zoey said raising her eyebrows. Jason squinted his eyes at Zoey and perked his lips.

A laugh escaped Abby's lips. "You think that is funny?" Jason began to stab his fingers into Abby's sides and cause her to squirm all around. Loud laughs roared from her lips. "Stop, I— Can't breathe." Abby said trying to catch her breath as her face tinged red.

Jason finally let her catch her breath. Zoey stood aside and admired the two siblings bonding with one another. "Are you ready to go?" Zoey asked raising her eyebrows. "it's already getting late, and we need to head back soon."

Abby's bottom lip poked out. "I don't want you to leave." Jason pecked the top of her head. "I'm not leaving you, you are coming with me." Abby's eyes widened. Before she could get another word out, a voice interrupted her.

"No she's not." Anna's eyes were ajar, purple circles were laying underneath them. Jason's eyebrows knitted together. His eyes trailed down at Anna. "My baby isn't going anywhere."

Jason swallowed his spit. His jaws were clenched. Zoey heaved a sigh, she already knew there was going to be a big blowout waiting to happen. "She's coming with me, there is nothing you can do." Jason hissed.

Jason adjusted Abby's weight on his side. "I am her mother." Anna said raising her tone. "A mother?" Jason let out a laugh. "You shoot needles into your arms, and take pills, what makes you think you are a mother to Abby, You are a piece of shit."

Abby's lips began to frown. Zoey tried to grab Abby from Jason's arms, but he wouldn't let loose. "Jase, she doesn't need to hear this." Zoey said trying to snap Jason out of his rage.

"How dare you talk about me like that in front of my daughter!" Anna's voice quivered. "It's the truth, she is going to find out one day."

"Jason, stop, let's just leave." Zoey once again tried to snap him out of it, but failed once more.

"You can leave, but Abby is staying with me." Anna hissed. Jason balled up his free hand into a fist. "No... I would rather slit my own throat than to leave her here with you." Abby closed her eyes, and held back the tears that were forming into her eyes.

"STOP! Do you see what you are causing!? Abby is too young to be hearing all of this. Do you understand that?!" Zoey interrupted the conversation. Jason peaked down at Abby and wiped away a tear that was streaming down her cheek.

"Who are you to talk bitch." Anna said clenching her jaw. Zoey raised her eyebrows in anger. "Jason... let's go."

"Let Abby choose where she wants to stay." Anna said wiping away her tears from her face. Jason placed Abby onto her feet, crouching down to her size. Abby looked at Jason and then at her mother who was laying in a hospital bed. "Abby, sweetie, I promise things will get better if you stay with me, I'll do better." Tears streamed down Anna's cheeks. Abby turned her face away from her mother. Abby wrapped her arms around Jason's neck, making her choice to go with Jason. Anna's mouth dropped open, and her eyes were wide. She could not believe it.

Jason placed his arm under Abby's butt for support. Zoey had her arms crossed along her chest. Jason had a straight face with no emotion and turned around walking out of the door. Anna was screaming to the top of her lungs as they were leaving. "You piece of shit! Come back here with her!" Anna cried and screamed as if she hadn't done anything wrong. The door slammed shut, leaving her into the room alone. Anna silently sobbed to herself as she realized that all she ever had was scooped out from under her.

She had nothing to blame but herself.