Chapter 5

While listening to the butter sizzling in the pan I look over at Jayden. Surprisingly I woke up earlier than him, so he is still on the couch vast asleep. I turn over the pancake and hope I won't wake him. Since he was so generous the past few days, making him breakfast is the least I can do. I am not the best cook, but it's the thought that counts. Right?

A cup almost slips out of my hand when I hear Jaydens voice. My back was facing him while I was making coffee when his voice suddenly came to my ears.

"You are already up?" His voice was still thick and deep from his sleep.

"Yep... Uhm I woke up early so I thought I could make you breakfast. You know... as a thank you." I am still startled by his sudden approach.

He smiles and walks towards me, grabbing the cup from the kitchen aisle that is already filled. He sits down and looks through the paper that I already put on the counter. Not a morning person, I see. Just like me. I smile and join him at the kitchen island placing the plates filled with pancakes and toast between us.

"Thanks." He half says half yawns.

"Not a morning person, are you?" I share my thoughts.

As a response, he shakes his head no while chewing on some pancakes. I smile and grab some myself.

After breakfast, Jayden takes a shower while I clean up the kitchen. It took some time to convince him that he does not need to help me clean up but eventually I managed to get him out of the kitchen. I like how simple it is with Jayden. It feels like we have known each other way longer than just a couple of days.

"Hey, can I use your computer today? I would like to look up some job advertisements." We are sitting on the couch just doing small talk after Jayden got out of the shower.

"Yeah, no problem. Do you already have something in mind?"

I actually thought about asking my old and only friend Erin if I could work at his pub as a bartender, but since I got hit by a car and swapped bodies with a minor there is little to no chance that this would work.

"No, not really." I decided on the short answer.

"You know my brother owns a bookstore just ten minutes from here. I could ask if he needs anyone at the moment to help him. He always wants to do everything by himself but owning and running a store without any help is tough. I wanted to convince him to hire at least one person anyways." He laughs at how stubborn his brother apparently is.

"Wow, that would be amazing. But you don't have to do this. I am sure I will find something. You have done so much already." I can't believe how kind Jayden is. Maybe everyone is that way and I was just lucky to only meet rude people.

"No, please. It's fine. If he doesn't get help anytime soon, he will suffer from burnout, I am sure. So, in that case, you would actually be helping me out."

"I... I mean... I don't-"

"Please. It is fine, really. And if it makes you feel any better, I will make sure to tell him to give you all the crapy tasks. Deal?"

I smile. "Deal!"

Jayden calls his brother the same day asking him if he could offer me his job. I can't help but feel a little uncomfortable that he is asking for me and that he is doing so much. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for everything Jayden is doing for me, but I have never gotten anything just handed to me. I always had to work for everything, so, I guess it just feels strange.

"Congratulations! You are the newest addition to 'Ryans Bookcase'!" He comes back into the living room with a huge smile on his face. I immediately get up and wrap my arms around him. I am so happy to already have a place to work and the fact that it's a bookstore makes it so much better. I have always loved being at a bookstore. I don't necessarily need to buy any books, just the whole atmosphere is beautiful on its own.