Chapter 2

It has been a week since the accident and my discharge from the hospital is imminent. The pain wasn't so bad and the events with Amy were a pretty good distraction. The worst thing though would have to be the cold. Even two days after I woke up, I still felt the cold inside of me somehow.

The doctor and nurses all say I am doing much better; however, I feel like crap. Especially after they came in one day, telling me they would advise me to some shrink. They must have realised that Amy tried to commit suicide – that I tried to commit suicide. Maybe I really do need a shrink. I mean – who wouldn't? After everything that has happened. But I better not tell my therapist about my Freaky Friday incident with Amy. That would only make things worse - I would probably never see the light of day in my psychiatric cell ever again.

I decided to just go by Amy. In the hospital I don't really have a choice anyway, but as soon as I will be discharged. I will be Amy. Amy Averts, apparently. At least that is what her ID said. My ID. I have also decided that I would at least try to just accept my fate as it is. At least for now. With thinking about it comes overthinking, and overthinking is mostly accompanied by negative emotions. And those I can not afford to have right now, especially with my goal: Being happy.

Because of my "confused state" – which is just a nice way the nurses use to describe my mental instability – I have not yet been allowed any visitors. Not that I could be waiting for anyone anyways. Amy told me she was pushed into one foster family after another, everyone just wanting the money that comes with it instead of her. So, I guess there weren't any friends or acquaintances that would come to see how she is doing. Except for one. That "young gentlemen", as the nurses always call him, has been coming here every day to ask how I was doing. The guy that saved Amy and pulled her out of the water, simply out of pure kindness. Amy described him as the first person that sowed at least some kind of care since she has never experienced any of that in her life before. Well, she called her an idiot but still. I can't help but smile thinking of the attitude she had. Perhaps we would have been good friends.

The nurse comes in with a smile on her face as always. After her everyday greetings of asking me how I was feeling today and checking my vitals, she came up with something different to say, finally breaking her annoying routine.

"Today is an exciting day, isn't it?" I frown. What is she talking about? I thought I was getting discharged in two days instead of today.

She seems to notice my questioning look and suppresses a giggle.

"Right, no one has told you yet. You are allowed to get visits starting today. The young gentlemen came here daily, asking for your state. Of course, we are not allowed to say anything, but that did not keep him from doing so. Are you sure you don't know him?" As always, I shake my head, signalling her "no".

Guess today was the day I would finally meet that mysterious life savour of mine. I haven't given too much attention to him over this week. Even now I don't feel nervous or any other comparable emotion. Why would he come by any day though? Especially when the nurses can't give him any answers anyways. He probably only wants to come in, hear me say thank you and then leave. Guess he already gets this satisfaction when talking to the nurses. Thinking about it, they all seem to be gushing over him in the last couple of days. They probably think that he is so protective, and he only wants to make sure that I am alright. Who would do that? And why? I am convinced that he is only here to feel like a hero. I guess he is, but you don't have to milk it. Still, I haven't talked to anyone else besides the nurses for a while so I might as well allow him to visit me. After all, he saved Amy. He saved me.

"Ms Averts?" I look up. I have been so lost in my thoughts that I completely forgot the nurse standing right in front of me.

"Sorry, what?" Yep, she definitely thinks I am crazy.