~twenty~

Alena's POV

"Are you fucking kidding me?"

"Gosh, I wish I was," I sigh, running around my bedroom for last minute set ups.

It is currently nine in the morning and I am freaking the hell out. In less than twelve hours I am gonna make a fool of myself in front of a whole crowd of intelligent people.

My social anxiety has never been worse. My interacting skills worse than ever. I don't know how I will manage all of that but I have no other choice. I already promised dad and now I can't back away from this goddamn thing.

And to add more to my trauma, Harry is coming with me. These are the worst days of my life. He is nothing but a disturber to me. His crude comments still float in my mind.

"How did you let that happen?" Zayn asks as I trap my phone between my ear and shoulder to use my hand to complete my work.

"Oh you know, because I am stupid," I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes. Then I remember that he can't see me through phone.

I walk out of my room with the phone in my hand as I talk with Zayn on loudspeaker. I descend down the stairs and walk into the kitchen.

"Damn true, you are stupid, Alena," he says, and for a second I think he is saying it seriously. I huff and run a hand through the roots of my hair.

"You are more stupider than those damn crows who hatch and raise the chicks of those ruthless cuckoos, who lay their eggs in the crows nest so that they don't have to do any work," he explains to me like it is a life lesson.

I laugh at his explanation as it makes no sense whatsoever.

"Uh uh that's serious. No laughing," he talks strictly through the phone, laughing at himself.

"You and your zoology," I say, chuckling at him.

I open the refrigerator and search for something to eat, putting the phone on the kitchen counter. Damn, there are lots of ingredients but for my benefit I don't know how to cook. I sigh and close the door.

"Animals can teach us very valuable life lessons." I hear Zayn say.

I hum in response.

"Y'know maybe you should become a zoologist or something related to that if you're looking for a profession," I suggest to him. Zayn has been wandering through different courses as he is good at a lot of them. He isn't settling for any one of them. He likes all of them.

"I have thought about it often but it is not some big profession. It is kind of rare." He sighs from his end.

"Exactly so you would have a lot of opportunities," I say, walking through the kitchen to look for some ready-made food stuff.

There is silence for a few seconds, neither me or Zayn saying anything. It isn't awkward but it is somewhat comforting.

In the meanwhile I open the refrigerator again and take out the peanut butter jar. I find a spoon and start scooping through the jar and devouring the peanut butter.

"I was kinda thinking of doing law." Zayn speaks so quietly that I thought that I didn't even hear him properly.

"Mm... " I lick off the spoon entirely, scooping some more. "Wow, that's awesome. That's great. Wow. I am proud of you Zaynie." I speak with my mouth full.

He sighs, "yeah I like that too. It is exciting isn't it?" He laughs.

"Duh yes. You'll be the best lawyer ever or if you want to be a judge then you will be the best judge ever. Whatever pleases you. Our beloved judge Zayn Malik," I rant, laughing at my commentary. He starts laughing too.