Chapter Twenty

Skye felt like her heart dropped down to her stomach and shattered. She didn't know if it was her mind, but all the noise around her died down. Skye couldn't believe what had happened. She stared at Chase, hoping he would move, but he never did. The fur, where the lightning bolt hit him, got burned. Some hairs got burned completely, revealing the skin under, which wasn't a good sign. Some hairs around the area were still red on the tips.

Skye crawled over to Chase. "Chase," she said. She pushed him, but he still didn't move. When her paws touched his fur, sparks flew from Chase to her. "Please, Chase, get up." Skye started to tear up, but she could care less. "Please, Chase, please."

She tried again, but he didn't answer. Skye leaned her head against his neck and sobbed.

Skye couldn't believe that Chase would sacrifice himself for her. He knew the power of that lightning bolt, but he still put himself in harm's way to protect Skye. Skye felt confused about how she would continue without him. She felt sad when she realized that the other pups watched from the Lookout. How would Marshall react to losing his brother? How would any of them react? She felt guilty. She should have gotten hit with the lightning bolt, not Chase. And now, Chase was hurt or worse. Skye felt angry. She was mad at the universe for letting this happen and at herself for not stopping him.

From above her, she heard the voice of her enemy. "He wasn't supposed to get in the way!" Sweetie said. "He was supposed to be my king, and he sacrificed himself for you?!"

Skye focused her anger on Sweetie. If Sweetie hadn't tried to take over the city, none of this would've happened. It was her fault Chase was there, barely alive. The thought made Skye burn with anger.

She flew upward up to Sweetie's level and turned around. Sweetie, seeing Skye square up to her, laughed. "You want to fight again?" she asked. "After the consequences of last time. You will lose again."

Skye glanced down at Chase one more time. As she looked at the German Shepherd, she heard his voice in her head. "This is your chance, Skye," Chase seemed to say. "Prove that you are a hero."

She looked back at Sweetie, and her eyes glowed bright pink. Small lightning bolts flew around her body. "These powers have been given to me. I'm going to use them to protect my family and my home."

For a quick second, Sweetie had a look of fear in her eyes. But she quickly hid it and smiled. Sweetie closed her eyes. When she opened them again, they glowed bright purple. "Let's see if you're strong enough to protect them."

The two pups charged at each other. The storm above them flashed with lightning, both pink and purple. When they were five feet from each other, they summoned a lightning bolt and launched it at the other pup. The lightning bolts met in the middle, creating a white ball of energy.

Skye sidestepped, letting Sweetie's bolt pass by her. She raced to the white terrier. Skye focused on her anger and turned it into energy. Skye glowed bright pink as she got closer to Sweetie. Sweetie looked away to prevent getting blinded, only to realize her mistake too late. Skye hit her in the back, launching her towards the beach.

Skye remembered her first fight with Skye a week prior. She lunged at Sweetie, who was turning around and pushed her into the water. While they were in the water, Skye released energy from her body and electrified the water around her. Skye felt the electricity shock her body, but she knew that Sweetie sensed it too.

The white terrier turned Skye over her and pushed her up out of the water. Sweetie flew up and carried her higher, away from the water. She let Skye move a bit further away and hit with a lightning bolt in the chest. Skye steadied herself and looked down at her chest. Her fur was steaming from the evaporated water.