Chapter Fourteen

Sweetie launched a lightning bolt at Skye. Skye dodged the bolt but got hit by another one immediately after. Her vision became fuzzy. When her vision cleared, she barely had enough time to avoid another one.

Skye launched a bolt at Sweetie, who dodged it with ease. The white terrier shot a bolt at the cockapoo, who counteracted it with one of her own. The two bolts, pink and purple, met in the middle. When the two bolts met, a red and white flash glowed brightly. Skye could barely see Sweetie on the other side.

Skye made the mistake of looking down at the others. Ryder was saying something to the pups. Once he got done saying what he had to say, they got into their vehicle towards the beach since Sweetie and Skye were currently over the bay.

Sweetie had moved out of the way and shot a lightning bolt towards Skye's chest. Skye fell twenty feet into the water. Fish swam away from the scene as Sweetie dove into the water. She grabbed Skye by the front legs and electrocuted the water around them. Skye felt as if her fur was burning. She tried to summon electricity of her own, but it wasn't as powerful.

Sweetie carried Skye out of the water. Skye coughed out some water and took a deep breath. She managed to release one of her legs from Sweetie's grasp, and she pressed it against Sweetie's chest. She summoned one last lightning bolt, converting her anger towards the white pup into energy. Sweetie was knocked backward a hundred feet but gained balance quickly.

Sweetie looked down at her fur and gasped. A brown paw got imprinted onto her hair, where Skye struck her. "You're going to pay for that," she said.

Sweetie charged at Skye. She pushed Skye in the chest, but the white terrier kept going. Sweetie forced Skye to the beach and dragged her along the shore. Sand and seawater got sprayed everywhere. Sweetie let go of Skye, and the cockapoo continued for another five feet before stopping.

Skye tried to move but couldn't. The burns on her front legs felt worse. Her sight was blurry, and she saw black spots, which she was pretty sure weren't normal.

Sweetie floated a foot above her. "May this be a lesson for you," she said, breathing hard. Sweetie raised her paws, sparks growing in her palms. Skye was waiting for impact, but she heard a familiar voice.

"Ruff, water cannons," Marshall said. Two columns of pressurized water launched at Sweetie, taking her out of the air. Sweetie got up and looked at them.

Over Skye, the Paw Patrol stood defensively. Chase had his front paw in front of Skye, blocking her slightly from Sweetie's vision. Skye found enough strength to turn over and look at Sweetie.

Sweetie stared at the entire team with hatred in her eyes. "You cannot stop me!" she yelled. She looked down at Skye. "You weak pup. When we meet again, I will be more powerful." She touched her chest and winced at the pain. "You are nothing. You need the Paw Patrol to protect you. You're just the smallest one on your team. An extra weight. What makes you think you can do more than any of them? Any better than them?"

Skye's mouth felt dry. She couldn't answer. All she could do was let out a small whimper. Chase looked down at her and back at Sweetie. "Leave," he said. "Now!"

Sweetie scoffed. "Fine!" she yelled. "I will return, though. If I cannot rule this town, then I will level it. I will have you as my king, whether by will or force. Mark my words, I will return!!"

Purple lightning surrounded Sweetie. The lightning was so bright that the Paw Patrol had to cover their eyes so that they wouldn't be blinded. When the light was gone, they looked back. The white terrier was gone.

"Where'd she go?" Marshall asked as he looked around.

"I don't know," Ryder said. He looked behind them at the streak on the beach that got left by Skye. "Right now, we have other things to worry about." He looked down at the pups. "Rubble, I need you and Zuma to fix this beach.

"On it," they said in unison as they left.

"Rocky, reopen the street in front of City Hall. After that, help Mayor Goodway replant her tulip garden.

"Green means go," Rocky exclaimed. He ran past Ryder to do his job.

"Ok. Marshall, use your EMT skills to help anyone who may need them. Something tells me that City Hall wasn't empty when Sweetie arrived. After that, meet up with Chase and Skye at the Lookout."

"I'm all fired up," Marshall said as he ran off.

"What about you, Ryder?" Chase asked. He still hadn't moved from over Skye, but she didn't mind. She felt protected and safe. The thought made her think back to what Sweetie said.

"I don't know," Ryder said. "I'm going to contact the Princess. I wonder if she knows what Sweetie is doing. She might be in trouble. Chase, can you take Skye back to the Lookout?"

"Yes, sir," Chase said. He looked down at Skye. Chase blushed and quickly stepped back. "Uh, sorry. I forgot that I was still over you," he told her.

"It's fine, Chase," Skye said. With some struggling, Skye was able to stand up.

They looked at Ryder. "Thanks," Ryder said. "Well, I'm gonna . . ."

"Ryder," Mayor Goodway called out as she walked up to them.

"Mayor Goodway," Ryder said in a shocked voice. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, I need to talk to you," she replied. "We need to talk about safety issues. If this happens again, we have to prepare. And my poor tulips."

Ryder glanced at Chase and Skye. Skye resisted the urge to laugh. When Ryder left, Chase looked at Skye with a worried face. "Are you sure you're fine?"

"Yeah," she replied.

"Alright, if you say so," Chase said. "Come on."

Chase walked forward. Skye tried to follow, but her front legs gave out. She fell onto the ground, her front legs throbbing. Chase noticed and walked up to her.

"I guess I'm not as fine as I thought," she said.

Chase chuckled, which lifted Skye's mood a bit. "No worries." Chase sat down on the ground. He wanted Skye to get on his back.

On the trip to Chase's cruiser, Skye couldn't help but think how much it resembled the first time she met the German Shepherd. Chase put her in the passenger seat and got into the driver's seat. He started the engine and drove her home.