Chapter Seventeen

After they finished surfing, Zuma and Skye relaxed on their surfboards about random stuff. They were roughly twenty feet from the shoreline.

Zuma turned his head to the city. "Hey, look. There's Chase and Marshall," he pointed out. 

Skye turned her head, and sure enough, Chase was driving down the street with Marshall in the passenger. Skye could tell that the cruiser was brown from dirt, even from a distance. She wondered why the car was so dirty.

Chase and Marshall turned their heads to the shore. Zuma and Skye waved, to which Chase responded by honking his horn. Skye couldn't help but smile.

Zuma turned head between Chase and Skye. His eyes grew wide. "Oh," he said.

Skye turned to him. "What?" she asked.

"You like Chase, don't you?" He asked, the grin on his face growing wider.

"What?!" Skye was even more confused. "I don't like him. He's my friend."

"Don't lie, Skye. It's so obvious. The way that you look at him. The way you smile when you're near him. You have a crush."

"Stop," she said, blushing and smiling. She turned her head to the town, and Chase's cruiser was no longer in sight.

"Hey, I'm not judging," Zuma raised his paws in surrender. "I'm just saying you would make a cute couple."

Skye laughed and pushed Zuma in a friendly manner. Zuma didn't see it coming, and he fell off his board into the water. His head popped out of the air, and he gasped for air. They laughed at the event. Skye turned her head to the Lookout. She watched as Chase's cop cruiser got off the bridge and went up to the Lookout.

Skye frowned as she thought of what Zuma said. Her head spun with questions. She started to doubt herself. Was it true? Did Skye have a crush on Chase? Did she like him more than just a friend? Could it be possible that he thinks the same about me?

"Skye," Zuma said, which shook her out of her thoughts.

"Huh?" Skye said.

"Dude, you completely ignored me when I called your name. You okay?"

"Yeah," Skye said. "Just got lost in thought. Let's head back."

Zuma and Skye arrived at the Lookout after returning their surfboards to the shed at the beach where they kept most of their beach equipment (I don't know if the Paw Patrol has one in the show, but here, they do.

They walked to the front of the Lookout and found Chase and Marshall cleaning the cop cruiser. Mud and leaves covered their bodies, but they smiled like it didn't bother them. Rocky and Rubble were building something out of toy blocks. When they saw Zuma and Skye walking up, Chase asked, "How did practice go?"

"Good," Skye said. She was scared to get into the details of their little conversation. "And you? What happened to you guys?"

Chase looked at his cruiser and back at Skye. "Pig chasing," he said. "Turns out that running after two pigs in a forest is harder . . ."

"And messier," Marshall added from the other side of the cruiser.

Chase laughed. " . . . And messier than you'd think. I think I'm going to stick to chasing Chickaletta."

Skye laughed. She turned to Zuma, who was smirking at her. Skye turned away, blushing. She hoped that Chase didn't notice. Luckily, he didn't.

Ryder walked out of the Lookout. "Hey, pups," he said. "I . . ." He noticed Chase and Marshall covered in mud. "It’s that bad?" he asked. "Looks like you had a wild goose chase in the dirt."

"More like a wild pig chase," the German Shepherd corrected.

They all laughed at the joke. Ryder pulled out his pup pad. "I'll make an appointment for a bath at Katie's for the both of you."

"Actually, I can take them now," a voice said from behind Skye. She turned around to see a blonde girl in a pink dress.

"Katie," Ryder said. What are you doing here?"

"I was going to ask for help moving some crates with supplies."

"Why not call?"

"My phone ran out of charge," Katie explained, "and I felt like stretching my legs. But anyway, I came to ask for help moving crates."

"Okay, Rubble, can you help her move everything with your crane?" Ryder asked.

"Sure," said the bulldog. Rubble stood up too quickly and knocked over the blocks he and Rocky were building with. "Sorry," he told Rocky.

"Thanks, Rubble," Katie said. "Well, that's all I needed. Come on, pups."

Chase and Marshall got into the cop cruiser as Rubble got into his bulldozer. "Katie, what about you?" Rubble asked.

"I'll walk," Katie replied. "It's fine."

"Um, if you want, I can drive you over there," Ryder said.

"Sure," Katie said. "That would be very helpful. Thank you."

After they left, Rocky, Zuma, and Skye looked at each other. "So, what should we do now?" Zuma asked.

"Pup Pup Boogie?" Rocky suggested.

"Sure," Skye said. She was glad to have something to clear her mind of certain things. Also, it could help her practice her reflexes. "I'm down."

"Me too, dude," Zuma agreed.

Rocky, Zuma, and Skye walked into the elevator and rode it to the top. They played the dancing game until it was time to go to dinner. Skye's food bowl was next to Chase's bowl while they ate. She would occasionally glance his way. The more she thought about it, the more it made her wonder. Could it be possible Skye liked Chase more than just a friend?