Chapter Eleven

In Barkingburg, Sweetie was getting ready for another attempt to take the crown and become queen. She sat behind the railing of the second floor, overlooking the ground below. Sweetie talked to her animatronic frog, Busby. "Okay, Busby," she said. "Do your thing." The robot frog beeped, and its eyes lit up as it received its orders. It turned around and slid through the middle of the railings.

The Earl of Barkingburg was in the middle of bringing a strawberry milkshake for the Princess on the bottom floor. She was bored since there was nothing to do. The Princess sat on the throne with her head leaning against her hand. When she saw the Earl, she sat up and smiled. "Ah, why, thank you, Earl," she said.

"Anything for you, my Princess," he responded.

Busby landed on the corner of the tray, launching the milkshake towards the Princess. Before she could react, she got covered with strawberries and whipped cream. The Princess stood up and looked at her blue dress, covered in pink. "What a mess," she commented.

"Your Majesty, I am deeply sorry," the Earl said. "It was my mistake."

The Princess sighed. "It's alright, Earl," she replied. "Please have another blue dress brought to my room."

"Yes, right away," the Earl said. He clapped his hands, and a servant walked up to him. The Earl told her the directions, to which the servant nodded and walked away.

The Princess climbed the stairs to the second floor. She passed Sweetie on the way to her room. "What happened, Princess?" Sweetie asked.

"Just a spill," the Princess admitted. "Everything's alright. I am going to get changed." She patted the white terrier on the head and continued walking.

Once the Princess was gone, Sweetie looked back at the first floor. The crown had been left unguarded on its column. "Why didn't I think of this sooner," she whispered to herself. She laughed with a snort at the end.

Sweetie walked down the stairs to the first floor. She hid behind the throne and looked around to make sure no one saw her. Once the coast was clear, Sweetie crept over to the column. When she arrived at the crown, she softly barked out her claw from her pup pack. Sweetie used the metal arm to grab the crown. Once it was in her possession, she ran off with it.

She made it into a side hall when a castle guard stopped her. "Where do you think you're going?" he asked.

"Um, the Princess asked to get the crown cleaned," Sweetie lied.

"Nice try, Sweetie," the guard said. "Come on." He led Sweetie back to the throne room. On the way, the guard radioed in that he caught her.

When they got back into the room, the Princess stood next to the crown pillar with her arms crossed. The Earl was next to her, trying to explain what was going on.

The guard took Sweetie to the Princess. The Princess looked at her pup. "How could you do this?" she asked Sweetie. "Do I not give you everything you ask? What could make you want to steal this crown?" The Princess took the crown from Sweetie's grasp and put it back on the red and gold pillow on the pillar. It was leaning to the side, so the Earl fixed it up, but the Princess did not acknowledge him.

"How many times do you have to try to steal the crown?" As usual, Sweetie didn't answer. The Princess sighed. "I'm getting tired of this, Sweetie." The Princess stood up straight. "Guard, take Sweetie to her puphouse."

"Yes, Your Majesty," the guard said. He led Sweetie out of the throne castle. The guard put the white terrier in her puphouse. Since a fence with spikes on the top surrounded the puphouse, Sweetie couldn't escape. "Sorry, Sweetie," the guard said. "But you have to learn, one way or another." The guard knocked on the main gates and got let in, leaving Sweetie alone outside.

Sweetie sighed. "I can't believe my plans got foiled again," she told Busby. I promise that one day, I will get my crown.

As Sweetie watched the sky, it went from clear blue to stormy purple. A storm rolled over the city much faster than any storm should have. The wind blew hard, knocking Busby out of Sweetie's paw.

"I got you," Sweetie said as she grabbed the robot frog before it slid through the fence. She looked up again to see the storm above her. "What the . . ." Sweetie didn't finish her sentence when a purple lightning bolt struck the metal fence around her. Multiple smaller lightning bolts reached out from the gate and electrocuted her. In her paw, Busby began to short-circuit. Steam blew out of its neck. Once the lightning was gone, Sweetie fell to the ground. She looked up, but the storm was already disappearing as if it was never there in the first place. Sweetie blacked out shortly after.

Two hours later, Sweetie woke up on a medical bed. She looked around the room. She took notice that it was the castle's nursery. A cable was connected to her chest, checking her pulse. She yanked off the cord, and the machine beeped loudly. Sweetie saw Busby next to a desk next to her bed. She reached over to pick it up, but a purple lightning bolt shot out of her paw and launched the frog to the nearest wall. Sweetie stared at the frog in disbelief. "How did . . ."

"Sweetie, my pup," the Princess said as she ran into the room. "I came as soon as I heard the news. I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, Princess," Sweetie said. "I'm fine."

The Princess hugged her pup. "Well, at least you're safe. That's the good news."

Sweetie looked down at her paw. It dawned on her the power she held and what it could do. Now, Sweetie just needed to learn how to control. "Yeah," she responded with a smile on her face. "Good news indeed."