Chapter Eighteen

Chase walked around the Lookout, looking around. He stopped in front of the cliff where he and Skye sat and talked. He looked out into the horizon. Pink balloons scattered across the town, the bridge, the bay, and the Lookout. Four large rings hung from the bridge. Two of them stood still while the two others spun slowly.

Chase looked to his right. A black and white checkered banner hung from the high poles. A motion sensor was installed to measure the time when someone passes through it twice.

"You ready, Skye?" Chase asked.

For the past five days, the pups helped Skye handle her powers. She got better at controlling the wind around her to guide her where she wanted to go, summoning lightning bolts, and making sharp turns, among other things. Now it was time to test herself.

Skye walked behind the banner. "Yeah," she replied.

"Okay, you know the routine. On your mark, get set, go!"

Skye flew forward off the cliff. She went over the bridge, popping three balloons as she passed them. Skye raced down the streets, popping more balloons along the way. She flew back across the bridge but went from under it. Skye maneuvered through the rings with ease. She then raced her way to the Lookout tower. Skye flew around the Lookout to the top, where the cockapoo popped one final balloon. She made her way down close to the ground and worked her way through the trees until she passed the checkered banner. 

Skye landed in front of Chase, breathing. He looked up at her from the screen near his feet.

"So, how did I do?"

Chase made a sour face. "Well, last time, you made it in five minutes and twenty-seven seconds."

Skye wasn't sure if she wanted the answer, but she asked her question. "And this time?"

"Five minutes even," he said as his face changed into a grin. "You beat your old time by twenty-seven seconds!"

Skye's jaw dropped as she heard the news. She was surprised and excited at the same time. She jumped up and down, howling with joy. She was getting better with her powers.

Chase laughed. "Seems like you're a bit excited. I guess all the practice paid off."

"Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you," Skye said as she hugged Chase. She was too happy to care.

"You're welcome, Skye," he said. "But don't just thank me. The others helped you as much as I did."

"Yeah," she said. She let go of the German Shepherd.

Marshall, Rubble, Rocky, and Zuma walked up to them. "So, what did Skye get?" Rubble asked. 

"Five minutes," Chase replied. "Twenty-seven seconds quicker than last time."

"Wow, congrats, dude," Zuma said.

"I couldn't have done it without any of you, so thank you," Skye said. She gave each one of them a hug in gratitude.

"You're welcome, Skye," Rubble said.

"Yeah, we're a team," Marshall added.

"And we will always have your back," Rocky said.

Skye looked at Chase. He shrugged and smiled as if he was saying, I told you so.

"So, what do we do now?" Zuma asked.

"I guess we just wait for Sweetie to arrive," Ryder said as he walked up. "Rocky, did you make sure all the alarms were working as I asked?"

"Yeah, they're all working," Rocky replied.

"Good," Ryder said. He looked up at the sky. "And just in time."

Over Adventure Bay, purple clouds blocked out the sun. Purple lightning bolts crashed down in every direction. The wind blew harder, and the atmosphere got colder. Sweetie was here.