Merlin had likely read the answer on Arthur's face as he didn't ask for a verbal reply.

"Now imagine that scenario, but you have powers like me, and there is an enemy of Camelot just outside our walls, trying to wipe us out," Merlin continued.

And now Arthur could see what Merlin meant. Even if you didn't believe in prophecies, the path such a heartbroken man would take under such circumstances seemed obvious.

This prophecy did explain a few things however, like why Merlin had always been so distrusting of Mordred. Arthur could remember more than one occasion when Merlin had chastised him for not killing Mordred when he'd had the chance. Merlin was always on guard when Mordred was around. Until this moment, Arthur had thought the whole thing to be some silly overreaction of Merlin's.

Then Arthur remembered thinking a while back that at times it almost seemed as if Merlin could see the future. This prophecy explained that as well.

"So what you're saying is that everything over the last nine years has come down to this one decision," Arthur summed up. "To execute the girl or not to."

"I believe that will be the defining choice that dooms or saves Camelot, yes," Merlin agreed.

"Even so, I can't just let her go," Arthur continued. "She's too much of a risk."

"Keep her locked up, then," Merlin suggested. "Make her work, I don't care, just anything but killing her. Even if you just delayed her execution until after Morgana's invasion, that would be something."

"I'll think about it," Arthur said. "Thank you for bringing this to my attention."

He'd intended that to mean that they could go, but neither of them moved an inch. Just from her expression and stance, Arthur felt sure Finna would have followed Merlin into hell itself; therefore merely standing beside him against a king's hints that it was time to leave was nothing to her.

"You have to do more than think about it, Arthur," Merlin continued in an all too serious voice. "You have to promise me you'll change your mind. Her death is not worth your life."

"And if I don't change my mind?" Arthur replied, curious what Merlin intended.

"Then I will have to help her escape," Merlin stated simply. His voice now was monotone, almost soulless. "Mordred is likely to follow her, which might put them right in the path to join Morgana anyway, but it is the lesser of the two risks."

"You really believe that?" Arthur asked, stunned at his friend's determination.

"I really do," Merlin replied. "I haven't spent my entire adult life protecting you just to fail now."

Arthur knew Merlin wasn't joking. He would go against all his king's orders and break the girl out if Arthur didn't change his mind. He also knew that there wasn't a single person in Camelot that could stop him.

Merlin's loyalties had always been so certain, so unchangeable. Arthur had never once thought what it would be like to have Merlin against him, but just now he could suddenly imagine it perfectly. The idea scared him more than Morgana's impending invasion. It would not be wise to go against Merlin to such an extent that he would himself turn traitor.

"You leave me no choice," Arthur said slowly. "But to change my verdict. The girl will be locked up indefinitely."

Merlin didn't speak but merely bowed his head and moved backward out of the room. Finna followed suit. Though on paper the Catha were now Camelot's allies, Arthur had always suspected they were more Merlin's allies than his. Finna's actions today confirmed that. If Arthur hadn't given in, she would have been right there with Merlin helping the girl escape.