She patted my head. "Good girl. I'll be back soon."

Isabelle came back about five minutes before class was set to start. At this time, the students had begun to file into the classroom. I fiddled with my fingers under the desk, avoiding eye contact. She walked by me and whispered for me to stop.

"Good morning, class. I'm glad to see that all of you have joined us, despite it being so early." She paused. "Now as you know, the midterm exam will be open book, but you will only be allowed your handwritten notes, so please put away your laptops and get out a notebook and a writing instrument." Some shuffling happened and Isabelle started her lecture.

The class ended early for the day, before 9:30 in fact. Once we were alone in the room, I took this opportunity to ask my questions. "What did you tell my professors?" I asked curiously.

"That you were unable to finish the semester due to unforeseen circumstances." She said without hesitation. "I also mentioned that my distant cousin Ava would be joining their lectures. Don't worry about your past assignments. Michael is aware of the situation somewhat and will merge your two student profiles once semester is complete for your transcript." I nodded gratefully. "You can go to their lectures alone, but you need to come here in between and right after."

"How did Mr. Sondales not come storming in here after you told him?" I asked incredulously.

She chuckled in amusement. "Michael is the only one here who knows who my father is. He's the head of department, so naturally he ran a background check on me. I told him it was necessary for your safety and he didn't question it. Your name on campus for now will be Ava Williams."

My heart fluttered involuntarily when I realized that I would be temporarily sharing her last name, even though she had already told me that I would be pretending to be a relative of hers on campus. This was probably a bad time to be wondering about the status of our relationship, but I couldn't help it. She was nice with me one minute and angry the next. I also knew that I had no right to any sort of relationship with her after what I had said and done the day before, but that didn't mean that I had lost feelings for her.

"Didn't you want to meet your friend?" I looked up at Isabelle when she spoke and realized that it was 9:30 now.

"Yeah, I'll be back in a bit." I whispered quietly and got up to leave the room.

I went to find Celine in the corridor she usually hung out in, hoping that she would be there. She was leaning against the wall and didn't notice me in my attire at first. I casually stopped close to her, but still kept a good distance. She looked like she hadn't slept all night and her eyes stared straight forwards.

I sighed quietly. Once I was sure no one was around to overhear us, I spoke in a barely audible voice. "Cel..." Her eyes immediately widened and she turned around, but I kept my gaze directly in front of me and stared blankly at the wall. "Tell Chase I'm fine, but everyone needs to believe I'm dead for now. I have someone helping me. This isn't over yet."

Celine stood up straight abruptly and walked off, but not before glancing at me and jerking her head in the tiniest nod. I smiled to myself and waited a few moments before heading back to Isabelle's room

She looked up worriedly for a moment before clearing her throat. "Oh good. You're alive." When I didn't respond, she tossed something at me. I caught the box and opened it. "New phone. So they can't track you. Next time just text your boss from your own phone." She muttered and I could tell that she was still cross about me using her phone this morning.

"Thank you." I smiled softly at her, but she didn't respond and I sighed again, sitting back down on the chair. I tried not to wince every time the cut on my back brushed against the chair. Upon further discussion, Isabelle convinced me not to attend my other classes today just in case. I stayed with Isabelle and helped her mark papers. At around mid-day, I started to feel sick. I realized at that point that I had skipped both breakfast and dinner last night, but it was also likely because of my back.