Travel Tip #5: Sabotage

Chad's time in the infirmary took a lot longer than he first thought it might, which was a lucky break for the manager and his staff

     Chad's time in the infirmary took a lot longer than he first thought it might, which was a lucky break for the manager and his staff. He was injected with some anti-venom, which surprised Chad as he didn't think it could get any worse. Thankfully the bite was now cleaned up and carefully bandaged. It still hurt like hell, so the nurse working there offered him some pain killers to take the edge off. He happily accepted them but he was still unable to put a lot of pressure on his foot as it had swollen up a bit. It was over an hour later when the manager returned to the room with someone else behind him. The man was carrying a small plastic cage and they were both smiling.

     "Good news, Mr. Barrington." The manager said, gesturing to the cage. "We captured the culprit. He will not be biting anyone else in the near future."

     Chad looked at the plastic container that the man was holding and inside it was the hideous thing that had attacked him in his sleep. It didn't look as big as the first time he had seen it, but it was the same spider that had caused the pain he was suffering from.

     "Get that fucking thing away from me!" Chad spat at the manager.

     "Of course," the manager said, motioning for the man to leave which he did immediately. The manager then produced a new set of keys from his pocket. "Once the pest was taken care of, we had your things moved to your new room. We even had our pest control specialist look through it first and he gave us the all clear."

     "Good thinking," Chad said, taking the keys from him.

     "I hope you are pleased with your new room," the manager repeated.

     "Since it's now spider free," Chad started, "I am sure I'll be able to sleep a little better this time."

     "The contents of the mini bars, as well as the other amenities are all complimentary." The manager added, "Please enjoy the rest of your stay."

     "Thank you," Chad said, in a voice that was calmer and more polite.

     The manager took that and ran with it, departing the infirmary without saying another word. Chad layed back down on the bed he was resting on and tried to relax. He wasn't down for more than ten minutes when Frankie Senior came bursting into the room, coming over to be at Chad's side.

     "I heard what happened from the staff," Frankie Senior said to him, "How are you faring? How bad is it?"

     Chad sat up and gestured to his foot, which was now mostly wrapped up in medical gauze. "That little bastard has at least been caught, so unless he has a family no one else will be bitten at least for a little while."

     "That's good to hear," Frankie Senior said, looking down at his foot. "That bug really did a number on you!"

     "Spider," Chad corrected, "I was bitten by a huge spider, and I think Doris was too. That's why they gave her a needle here, anti-venom just in case."