-58-

Garish

-Lyra Emerald-

-Lyra Emerald-

A white dove. I watched as this little white dove drank from the small puddle of water that had pooled on the window ledge of my cell, it had been raining overnight and I revelled in the smell of the cool water on the stone. I had been moved to yet another cell, perhaps of a different house, I wasn't sure. The dungeons I was held in were constantly changing, I would fall asleep somewhere and wake up in another. I think it was Voldemort's way of always being one step ahead, making sure no one could find me.  The steel bars over the window allowed water in and my cell felt damp beneath me.

I thought of Draco's words to me, words he had told me as we lay on a grassy hill, watching a house we had no interest in. We were younger then, naive to what was bubbling under the surface of our innocent endeavours.
"When I die, I'm going to come back as a white dove." I recalled him saying. "Completely and utterly free."
My eyes kept watch as the little bird danced in front of me before taking off into the sky I could not see. Perhaps Malfoy was free now, somewhere better.

I watched where the bird had been for a moment, thinking of him. I was almost glad it was him who had gone, for I would not wish the suffering I had endured upon anyone.

Just then, a huge explosion erupted from the opposite end off the cell. Dust and rubble flew everywhere and I covered my eyes as suddenly light began to pour in. As my vision adjusted I could vaguely make out two figures walking towards me. I hadn't seen anyone in months, I couldn't tell you what day it was, and my head was a constant real of regret and loneliness. Perhaps this was a dream. Perhaps I was so starved and deranged and damaged that I was conjuring this image up to save myself from complete insanity. But as the first voice sounded, I began to cry, for it was very real.

"Alright Emerald." Taurus spoke into the dusty air, it cleared slightly, revealing the broad, blonde boy. He was just as I had remembered him, but taller, more muscly and strong. His face was worn, weathered slightly and had matured a great deal since I last saw him, which was nearly two years ago. My heart hurt at the notion of it all.

"Lyra." Another voice sounded as arms were suddenly thrown around me. Ophelia helped me to my feet before hugging me again. Her blonde hair was in two plaits and her warm face still held the same angelic smile that I knew so well.

"We've been trying to track you for months... it's not an easy thing to do...in the midst of a war." She looked me over, I was pale and skinny and probably smelled worse than an ogre. "Let's get you cleaned up."

I cried into her arms.

•••

Grimuald place was empty, abandoned now by the order. I suspected that it hadn't been used since Draco and I were arrested there. I felt like I was stepping back in time, but also forward to a time I did not know. I had missed a whole year of the war, I had missed out on my friends maturing and changing, helping the order without me.