-22-

Checkmate

"But then I had to tell Professor Sprout that I didn't even have time to complete the assignment

"But then I had to tell Professor Sprout that I didn't even have time to complete the assignment...it was a total nightmare." Elio continued with his story that I had no interest in engaging in.

My head felt heavy as I rested it on my hands, the smell of bacon and eggs making me feel rather ill as breakfast in the Great Hall continued.

I looked up at Taurus who was sat across from me, Ophelia was gently rubbing his cheek as he rested his hungover head on her shoulder. His eyes were half asleep as he gazed at the table infront of him uninterestedly.

"No one cares Elio." Fabian muttered bluntly, spooning more scrambled egg onto his plate.

"Shit." He breathed, causing me to turn my head to where he and the majority of the Slytherin table were now looking.

Willow was standing in the doorway, still in last nights dress, a robe that clearly wasn't her own draped loosely around her shoulders. Aimlessly, she wondered over to us with her silver heels swinging from her fingertips, her bare feet patting on the stone floor as she walked. All the green tied students eyes followed her as she went, many looking down at her as the events of last night spread like wildfire down the Slytherin table.

"Hi guys." The brunette murmured, sitting down and placing her head on the table sleepily.

It was odd seeing her like this. Willow was always so full of life, energy, busting with knowledge and excitement. But she looked lost and lifeless. Drained.

"What's going-" Elio started to question, the unsubtle idiot that he was. However Taurus kicked him under the table, sharply warning him to shut his mouth. As Willow fell asleep at the table we all shared a stern look, a silent understanding to not ask questions or mention anything just yet.

"Here honey." Ophelia placed a large glass of water infront of the tired witch. She lifted her hand in thanks yet didn't sit up nor drink it.

The table was quiet for the remainder of the meal. The silence was awkward and no one really knew what to say. Yet we all knew something was off.

"Guys I'm not sure I can go to potions first thing. It's gonna be so awkward." Fabian chuckled, shaking his head slightly in a humerus revelation as he broke the heavy silence strung between the 6 of us.

"Hmm?" I mumbled sleepily, not really paying attention to what Fabian had to say. My head felt tremendously heavy and the events of last night were a constant loop in blurry conscience.

His large hand on my waist.

His cold fingers prickling my tender neck.

His hot words fanning my ear.

The way his words awoke the dormant butterflies in my stomach; making them flutter and buzz inside of me.

"Well I sit next to Malfoy." I sat up immediately, my ears pricking at the mention of his name.