-27-

Blissful ignorance

The castle was a buzz with the arrival of spring and the Great Hall was vibrant and heavy with decorations for the Ostara ball

The castle was a buzz with the arrival of spring and the Great Hall was vibrant and heavy with decorations for the Ostara ball. It was safe to say I was actually looking forward to it.

I stood by the door, Pusey's invitation to the dance crumpling slightly in my nervous grasp. It was not unexpected. It was pleasant even; but it left me wondering.

I couldn't accept.

All I wanted was for Malfoy to return and for all to be well. But I had this ghastly, horrible feeling in my stomach that all was far from well, that everything was slowing sinking and all I could do was dance on the burning deck as the ship went down. News of Death Eater raids were rumouring throughout the school and talk of apparent fights between the Order and the Dark Lords men were more than just suspicion.

"You coming Emerald?" Fabian nudged me as he too entered the Great Hall for dinner. I stumbled slightly, caught in a haze and oblivious the hustle of hungry students behind me.

At dinner, I could see Adrian laughing with his friends further along the table, and I couldn't help but notice how tender he looked; mighty yet gentle. His soft brown hair fluttered in the late spring draft and I watched, captivated as he spoke with his housemates. So unaware of the beauty that he held, so oblivious to his natural, golden nature. He reached for his cup like a king reaching for a goblet at a feast, unintentionally noble and strong.

Maybe I could accept his invitation, for old times sake if nothing else. But the image of a pale and displaced boy clouded my vision. Yet Malfoy might decide to go with Astra, for his pride and position. He was unpredictable like that, and far from trustworthy.

I never knew which piece he was going to play. I never knew where we stood. Sometimes I wondered if we were still playing chess at all. A new game perhaps, hopefully one I could understand, not be at such a disadvantage.

I heard the door open and slam loudly over the small talk and chatter that filled the air.

Looking up, I noticed a white haired boy standing in doorway, his posture slumped and tired. I sighed with relief; he was back in one piece.

His eyes were weary and his uniform scruffy, hung loosely around his figure. Malfoy slowly made his way over to Blaise and Theo, his head low and his steps small, cowardly, as if not wanting to be seen.

I watched him for a moment, hoping he would look up to find my eyes. He did not.

He looked weaker, more fragile than before. My mind instantly wondered to the events of what his trip had entailed, yet I didn't not know if it was my place to ask. I didn't know where my place was at all.

Across from me sat Fabian and I noticed his intense glare, watching me as I watched Malfoy. He nudged me under the table. I did not know why, however it broke my gaze away. I smiled at the raven haired boy, yet he did not smile back. He stared right through me, as though I was glass, transparent and clear in the evening light.