-40-

And now we're both sorry

"Is this it." Fabian scoffed as the two of us stood, arms crossed before the wooden cabinet that towered over us.

"Well, we need to repair it first." I murmured, completely overwhelmed by the vastness of our task. It was too personal too real. I didn't like the thought of handing over the safely of our school to them.

The vanishing cabinet was huge, heavy, and mesmerisingly vast. It enticed me, but frightened me at the same time.

"I have a bad feeling about this..." Fabian mumbled, his words trailing off as footsteps approached us. Loud and confident footsteps on the room of requirement floor.

The room was filled with all sorts of odds and ends. Old tables, instruments long forgotten, abandoned books, jars, chairs, vases. All sorts, it almost felt unnerving to be standing amongst it all. Although it felt strangely natural, after all I was just one more unwanted object thrown unwillingly into the room.

Malfoy appeared dressed entirely in black, hair combed to the side, a green apple tossed up and down in his hand. He had a sort of smirk plastered across his features, yet not enough to give anything away. He was closed off these days, withdrawn to any form of real emotion. But weren't we all. We didn't have time to feel, we didn't have time for anything.

"What the fuck is he doing here?" Malfoy spat, eyeing the raven haired boy next to me with look of complete disgust. He had always had a deep routed hatred for that boy and now it was amplified. A lot.

"I could say the same." Fabian replied, furrowing his brows, unimpressed at the cocky blonde as his lip curled upwards slightly, the usual face he pulled when he wasn't pleased with a situation.

Both boys looked towards me, as though I was going to choose between the two of them, settle their affairs. The tension in the room was so thick I could almost feel it in the sweaty air between the three of us.

We worked on the cabinet for long, frustrating weeks, often working into the night where the two boys would constantly be at each other's throats, making comments on each other's incapability, or sniggering snarky remarks. They were like two stroppy children, refusing to play nicely. Sometimes I forgot we really were just children.

After just over a month little to no progress had been made. Malfoy, Fabian and I began missing classes, spending our days together in that dusty, overly crowded room. And although I was falling apart, deprived of sleep and now completely isolated from all of my friends, at least I was spending time with the blonde. At least it was worth something.

I didn't sleep, I barely ate. The power I once felt had turned to weakness, to fear. Angry owls came from Emerald house; the Dark Lord was unimpressed with our lack of efforts. I no longer felt in control, I was fragile and weak and scared. I was so scared.