-55-

Ps. Listen to ceilings by Lizzy McAlpine if u feel like it xxx

Borrowed time

"I cant even look at him

"I cant even look at him."

"He's your son, Lucius."

"He's no son of mine."

The voices were hazy in my heavy head, quiet as they whispered off the cold stone walls. My head was reeling, fuzzy and full as I sat up. A cold chill ran through me as my eyes adjusted to the unfamiliar semidarkness around us. How long I had been out for I did not know.

We were in the dungeons I soon realised, deep below Emerald House. I came here once as a child, but never again. Even when I needed to be alone, it was too lonely here, and nothing ever felt quiet despite the hollow halls being empty and lifeless. It was unnerving.

Draco was awake and sitting up with his back to the wall of the cell next to mine, his eyes facing forward not daring to move. He was listening. And he was hurting behind the metal bars that held us separate. I wanted him to reach through the railings and hold my hand, to cup my face and tell me that it would be okay, that we would be okay. But of course he didn't. He just sat there, without a word.

We sat in silence for a moment, and no more voices sounded from upstairs. Until I heard my father speak. I had not heard his voice in some time and he sounded almost unfamiliar.

"He can do what he wills with her, she's never been a daughter to me."

Those words should've stung, but they didn't. I had given up on being his daughter long ago, and time could not change the deep hatred routed in the centre of my chest for the vile man.

Was a future with Draco, a life away from all this even a possibility anymore? It was too easy for the Dark Lord to snatch us up whenever he felt like it. It was a game of cat and mouse, for the only purpose as his pleasure. We thought we were on the run this whole time, yet, we were under his watch, and he was waiting. Waiting to strike when he wanted to the most. It was a vicious cycle. A game.

"The Dark Lord will decide...but he is a man of his word" I heard Narcissa let out a sob at my mothers brutal words. My stomach churned like a machine whose dormant cogs were suddenly lurched into action. What word? To who?

"Draco." I spoke but he did not answer. I wasn't even sure he had heard me. My mouth was dry and my voice quiet, but I could not have expected him to answer. It was him all along who knew we had to leave. And it was me who had persisted on staying to help the order just that wee bit longer. It was me who pushed our luck just too far.

I looked at him for a while, the only sound now was our breaths in the icy air. I couldn't tell what he was thinking, his face, even his eyes told me nothing. They were empty and emotionless and all I wanted was for him to do was talk to me.