CHAPTER 30

Chapter ThirtyEzra Holmes

Chapter Thirty
Ezra Holmes

I made my way to the living room to join Bear and Raya there, but when I started to step down the rest of the staircase, their faint talking made me stop in my tracks.

“I found this in the yard today.” Raya says, her voice was barely above a whisper.

I frown, making my way down the last of the steps.

Storm was singing along to whatever song he has playing in the kitchen, Rossi was sleeping, Archie was in his office, trying to find a lead on the guys who attacked Raya, and the twins were in their room, playing games. They were all out of hearing distance, so I don’t know why Raya was whispering when she spoke.

“What is it?” Bear was the one to ask.

I round the corner and look at the two of them sitting on the couch. I couldn’t hide the fact that I was curious to know what Raya found in the yard, too. I have noticed the way her hand quickly went behind her back when I joined her for a training session, but I didn’t want to ask her about it because it wasn’t meant for my eyes for some reason, or she just didn’t want me to worry about it.

Raya takes something from her side, showing it to Bear who took and inspected it.

It was a small note and a pink teddy bear.

My blood turns ice cold and a shiver descends my spine.

No.

It can’t be.

“I don’t know.” Raya says, shrugging her shoulders. She then takes something from her pocket, showing it to Bear too. “I found this note stuck to the target, too. The teddy bear was lying on the ground, in the mud.” She says, turning the little pink bear over to see if there was clue about its whereabouts or who the hell has sent her the teddy bear, but she found none. “It does say this: a little motivation.”

“Do you have any idea what it means?” Bear asks.

“I think it’s some sort of threat, maybe.” Raya says, taking the bear back from Bear’s grasp. She sets it down onto her lap, handing the small note back to Bear.

It is a threat.

But it wasn’t a threat meant for Raya.

It was meant for mine.

Fuck.

I turn around slowly, hoping to make it to the front door without any of them noticing that I was about to leave without telling any of them anything. Luckily, when I turn the door knob, no one noticed me trying to leave, to my utter relief.