Chapter 18

"It's only been an hour! You can't possibly think that's enough!" I yelled in frustration

"I can do whatever the hell I want. Leave me alone, " Neil muttered, typing away on his phone.

He was in one of those moods. Lashing out, sulking, and basically being a brat.

It took everything in me to stay calm, I had to remember what he was going through and not lash out, but it was getting difficult.

"You need to catch up, Neil. Please," I said, softly.

"Not today." He didn't even bother to spare me a glance, still glued to his phone.

I was going to have crescent-shaped marks on my palms tomorrow from the effort it took to not strangle him.

"We are going to do it today! This is the third time you're doing this." I snatched his phone away from him and he scowled. "We have a target and a plan that we need to stick to if you want to get into college."

"Well, I don't want to get into any stupid college!" He fired back. "Stop pushing, just...stop."

"You don't mean that—"

"Stop acting like you know everything I mean and want, just leave me alone!"

Avi entered the room at that exact moment and stopped short when he saw us. "What did I miss?"

"That Veronica is a tutor from hell," Neil answered, glaring at me.

I gasped. "Rude! Take that back!"

"Whoa! Okay, V, why don't we take a little break?" Avi softly suggested and I sighed.

"Make sure that break lasts for at least a day," Neil muttered.

"You—"

"Children!" Avi interrupted me. "Please, V." He gestured towards the door and I nodded.

As soon as I stormed out of the room I spotted Neil's mother standing across the hallway with a small smile.

"Had a little fight?" She asked, her kind eyes searching my face.

I mutely nodded and started walking toward her. "He was being moody again, I didn't want to yell at him so I walked out."

Mrs. Miller nodded, knowingly. "I'm sorry, I know you're trying hard to help him."

"Exactly! I'm trying to help him. And he is acting like he is doing me a favor." I rolled my eyes with a huff. "And this is not the first time we've had an argument. I know he is going through a lot of things but—"

"I get it. All the meds and physiotherapy are taking a toll on him, the doctors told me that his healing process is going to be painful and long. He doesn't talk about it, but I know that the reality of his situation is finally sinking in for him..."