Part 18

Despite everything they had been through, Garou still seemed that he had a lot more fight left in him. Y/n surveyed the scene. Garou, surrounded by 9 heroes, still seemed unfazed and ready to attack. Y/n knew that it had to be a front he was putting up, but something told them that it wasn't too inaccurate from their current situation. The other heroes may begin to get cocky and let their guard down. Y/n had to ensure that didn't happen.

     Beginning again, Garou began attacking the heroes with more rigor than ever. They fought back, and the battle commenced again. But something was different this time. Garou seemed to have the upper hand.

     That's impossible. Y/n thought. But something deep down told them it wasn't. Y/n took a deep breath. They thought back to the times growing up when they had been told not to trust anyone, and especially not what others want you to believe about themselves. Y/n had always thought that was more borderline paranoia than anything else, but now they were beginning to see an element of truth in it.

     Y/n readied themself to shout to the others. They needed to tell them to keep their guard up. But it was too late.

     Just as Y/n took a breath, Garou raised his hand and snatched Chain'n'Toad's chain out of his grip. Garou reached toward Chain'n'Toad and smashed him to the ground. Smileman sent his weapon towards Chain'n'Toad in order to add backup, but before it could reach him, Garou whipped the chain through the air and sliced the rope connecting Smileman's ball to his hand.

     Smileman fell back, but quickly scrambled to his feet. Luckily, Garou seemed more preoccupied with attacking the other heroes to notice the opening.

     "He's got a blade!" Gun Gun yelled, only making the obvious more apparent. Garou turned his head, seemingly narrowing in on him. Something about this statement seemed to irk him. Or maybe it just made Garou's next target an easier pick. He snatched Smileman's ball from off to the side and sent it spiraling toward Gun Gun's direction.

     In less than a second the impact sent Gun Gun flying across the forest and smacked him against a tree that lay a few feet away. His body slumped, indicating an unconscious state.

     Y/n nervously took a step back. Their numbers were dwindling, and Garou seemed to only get stronger.

     Why hasn't the poison worked yet?  Y/n thought. The other heroes looked on stoically, but Y/n had to wonder whether that was out of real confidence or the need to remain calm.

     Wild Horn and Shooter readied their attack. Wild Horn closed in, then lunged towards Garou, effectively closing the distance in seconds. But Garou was ready. He grabbed the vacant chain left by Chain'n'Toad and used it to entrap Wild Horn, rendering him incapable of fighting back. In an effort to save Wild Horn, Shooter raised his bow and fired a flurry of arrows flying through the air and toward their target. But it was a mistake.

     Garou lifted Wild Horn high above his body, effectively shielding him to the oncoming attack. Arrows pierced Wild Horn's armor, and something told Y/n they had made contact.

     Regret flashed across Shooter's face, seeping in like the white shade creeping across his face. His hands shook, and he took a wobbly step backwards.

     Garou cast Wild Horn's body aside, and began rapidly approaching Shooter. Shooter took a few steps back, widening the distance between them. As a distraction, Glasses picked a few rocks from the ground and chucked them at Garou as hard as he could. Garou glanced over, snatched them out of the air, and quickly redistributed them in Shooter's direction.

     "Shooter! Look out-" Y/n yelled, but it was too late. Rocks collided with his face, leaving him curled up on the ground.

     Y/n looked around. Their numbers had dwindled significantly. Now all that was left was Y/n, Stinger, Glasses, Smileman, and Death Gatling.