Part 10

Y/n attempted to walk with an air of confidence as they crossed the street. People flooded through on either side of them, causing a not so purposeful stumble that nearly costed Y/n their cup of coffee. Readjusting their bag, they continued down the sidewalk and toward the City Q Hero Association branch. 

     At first, Y/n believed that they would have to go all the way to City A in order to sign up, but apparently there was a branch in every city which only further pissed off Y/n because they had always had to travel all the way to City A when called in.

     Y/n walked for a few minutes in silence. They had just reached a less populated area of the city, and now had only a few more blocks to go. Even though City Q was one of the most populated cities, the area that they had reached was sparsely populated and consisted of mostly one or two pedestrians strolling by. Y/n began thinking through possible written exam questions when a voice calling them broke their train of thought. Y/n whipped around in an attempt at figuring out who had called them.

     A figure began picking up speed and hurriedly crossed to the other side of the street to greet Y/n. When the figure neared and Y/n could finally make out who it was, they immediately groaned on the inside. Pieces of blue hair beneath his hood gave away who this mysterious stranger was. Amai Mask.

     "What's he doing here?" Y/n muttered. 

     "Hello, Y/n." Amai Mask greeted. He got right to the point."Is it true that you are thinking about becoming a hero?"

     A wave of understanding came over Y/n. So that was what he was there to talk about. "Well, I'm not really sure but I had some errands to run near here so I just figured-"

     "Great, great." Amai Mask interrupted.  "You would likely be a better hero than some people." Y/n rolled their eyes internally. 

     Amai Mask was always talking about "true leaders" and "the standard for being a hero". It made it exhausting to talk with him sometimes. Y/n wondered where he got such ideals in the first place.

     "Do you think they would let one of my robots take the physical test?" Y/n asked, trying to change the topic from the "nobody is worth being a hero except me" topic. That question had been on their mind since the start. Because with a robot, they were sure that they would pass. But if it was just them... It wouldn't end too well.

     "They won't make you do any kind of physical test." Amai Mask responded, taking the time to swipe pieces of hair out of his face.

     "Wait, what?" Y/n started. "But I thought there was a physical test everyone had to take?" 

     "Well, sure." Amai Mask leaned in closer. "But they already know you. What would be the point? I honestly doubt they'll make you take any kind of test at all."

     Y/n thought about what he said. It made sense, the point of the exams were to learn about people they didn't know before, and they already knew Y/n. But still, how would they know what class to put them in? Y/n hoped they wouldn't have to start in C Class. The weekly quotas they had to meet would put a serious dent in Y/n's research time. 

      "What are you doing here?" Y/n changed the subject. 

     "I've always been a part of the selection process. Any hero A Class or above has to get permission from me to proceed." 

     I'm sure he loves that job. Y/n thought. "But what are you doing in this city?" Y/n asked.

     He gave Y/n a movie star smile that he likely perfected after months of being in the public eye. "I heard that there may be a person of interest wanting to join. Now I believe that it is likely that you were the one they were talking about." He smoothed down his hair. "I'm sure I'm not the only one who has come here today."