Part 17

Time appeared to slow, dragging its weight across the few seconds that it took Y/n to comprehend what was happening. Before they could react, Garou was on them. 

     This is it. Y/n thought. Surrendering already, they braced for impact. 

     A whoosh sounded in the air. Suddenly, it was as if Y/n could no longer feel Garou's presence. They opened their eyes. 

     Garou was now standing a few feet away, beginning his attack on the other heroes. While Y/n had their eyes closed, they had been saved by Stinger's bamboo spear. 

     Y/n looked around and waved at Stinger, trying to show gratitude, but he was busy attacking Garou. 

     I should probably be doing that. Y/n thought. But before they had the chance to, they marveled at how well the heroes worked together. Wild Horn and Smile Man attacked together  while Chain'n'Toad swooped through from behind. Just as Garou was busy with the other three heroes, Shooter would step in with a rain of arrows, sweeping the air from above. Gun Gun also provided backup, not letting Garou get too far away without a hailstorm of bullets. 

     Y/n pulled out their weapon. They had brought a couple things, but for the moment this one seemed most appropriate. It was a long ranged weapon, designed to shoot tiny bombs at the enemy. Y/n focused it up to their eye and began firing. 

     With the added firepower, Garou stopped, overwhelmed. He retreated a few steps, taking a breath.

     Y/n heard a few murmurs. 

     "He's strong. Unsurprising, he is Bang's student after all." Smile Man noted.

     "Keep your attention on Garou. Don't let him relax." Death Gatling reminded.

     They began the assault again, this time closing in closer to Garou. Y/n signaled to Smile Man and Wild Horn to begin a synchronized attack. Together, they attacked him at once, Smile Man and Wild Horn in the lead, with Y/n providing back up from behind. With this in motion, Shooter began another storm of arrows, this time leading to success. A few landed in Garou's left shoulder.

     Y/n breathed a sigh of relief. Shooter has been known to have arrows that contain a type of poison used to slow enemies and eventually render them unconscious. Garou would be out in a matter of minutes.

     Before they could begin another attack, Garou launched himself towards Glasses, who was busy collecting Shooter's arrows.

     "Glasses! Watch out!" Y/n shouted. 

     Glasses looked up, barely in time for Garou.

      What incredible speed!  Y/n thought to themself. It seemed impossible, how quickly he moved. But Y/n was beginning to get used to the incredible feats monsters pulled in battle.

     But that was just it. Garou is not a monster. It seemed strange to refer to him as such, but then again it also seemed the only fitting label.

     Garou launched a siege of attacks against Glasses, with Glasses barely being able to block. Y/n pulled out their weapon and began adding support. Within seconds, Garou seemed to pinpoint an added assault, to which he turned his attention to. Now, Garou was heading toward Y/n at top speed.

     Without time to spare, Y/n whipped out a second weapon they had brought as well. It strapped around Y/n's arm, with the intended purpose of shocking anything that came into contact. Before they could have time for even an added breath, Garou was on them.

     He brought his arm up and swung down in a chop-like motion, to which Y/n raised their arm in order to block. A wave of electricity passed from Y/n to Garou, and he took a step back. Y/n thought maybe Garou would retreat and start on someone else, but instead he returned to Y/n, adding a series of blows. Y/n managed to counter, but their moves were getting sloppier. It was only a matter of time before Garou would land a hit. Worriedly, Y/n began thinking of ways to escape.

     But before they could worry for long, a large yellow ball came flying through the air and smacking Garou in the side. He returned to the fight with other heroes. 

      The regular fighting resumed- everyone working together to wear Garou down. After a minute, Death Gatling's booming voice could be heard.

     "Garou, you are outnumbered. Surrender now, and we will show you mercy."

     "Yeah right." Garou responded. He looked around. "Where are all the S Class heroes? Am I not important enough?"

      "The S Class heroes are treated far better than every other group of heroes in the Hero Association. It is assumed that they are far better and more prepared than we are for these types of missions. This is to prove them wrong." He responded.

     Y/n was vaguely surprised at this. They had noticed that there weren't any S Class heroes present, but they hadn't thought much of it. It was interesting to learn the motive.

     "So this is out of spite? Ha." Garou responded. He took a confident step.

     Nearly unnoticeable however, was the little waver in his leg as he took the next step.

     The poison from Shooter's arrow!  Y/n thought. It's beginning to set in!

     "The poison." Y/n whispered aloud. The other heroes seemed to notice as well, and they looked around confidently. The end of the battle seemed near.

     Garou took another step forward, this one covering less distance.

     The other heroes stepped in as well, seemingly ready to fight. But before they could react, Garou lunged towards Chain'n'Toad, leaving Y/n to wonder, how much more fighting could they take?