Chapter 7

"This is your house?" I asked in shock, looking up at the two-story building. It wasn't a marble-filled mansion but it also wasn't the minuscule apartment or dilapidated building I had been picturing. This was actually a lot closer to the stereotypical image of a home featured in movies, although much smaller. It was a light shade of grey with white trim and brick paths trailing up to it that were still slick with rain. There was bright green grass and lush trees that hung around it, making the whole place look like some large cottage in a fairytale.

"This is our house," Koda corrected with a look, slamming his door shut and walking up to the front door. I followed behind him quickly, taking everything in.

"It's gorgeous!" I exclaimed involuntarily as he threw open the front door. There weren't many decorations but there was a beautiful look to the gleaming wood and light-colored furniture. The floor was a soft tan matching the tan wooden beams that went across the white ceiling. There wasn't much furniture but what was there were varying shades of soft blue and gray, with the occasional dark green that gave the place a relaxing feel. Most importantly, with the windows open, the rooms were all filled with breath-taking natural light that made the whole place shine.

It reminded me of the beach with its soft tans and deep blues. I wondered if he realized it matched his old bedroom despite its sophisticated upgrade. A part of me was hopeful at that thought. Maybe he hadn't changed as dramatically as his features had.

"Thank you," Koda said with a shy smile. He scratched the back of his neck as he looked around as if trying to see it through my eyes.

He walked me through a tour of the place from the front room and backyard to the upstairs. There were three small bedrooms in the house, all lined up in a hallway on the top floor. The first was clearly the master bedroom where he slept. It was dark and masculine and had a large bed with a small black nightstand beside it,  topped with a gold lamp and not much else. Beside that was the second room; a guest bedroom that he said had never been touched. The third and final room at the end of the hall was empty except for a blow-up mattress topped with light blue sheets and a thick blanket. He apologized as he showed it to me.

"This is your room," he said reluctantly, trying to gauge my reaction. "But you can do anything you want with it! Add furniture, change the wallpaper, anything!"

"Can I get a trampoline?" I asked, trying to see how much space I'd have if I removed the bed.

"Anything but that," he said with a smirk that matched mine. I stuck my tongue out at him and he laughed.

"Do you like it?" he asked nervously. "I didn't know how to decorate it and I thought you'd hate whatever I picked anyway. Pink isn't your favorite color anymore, I assume."

"Nope. Black," I said, envisioning the room with black walls and some cool neon lighting. If I had the time, I could tack my artwork on the walls and make it mine.

"It's getting a little late, so I'm gonna head down and start making dinner, okay?" he asked, heading towards the door.

I didn't answer so he turned back and I gave him a small nod.

"Do you mind if my best friend comes over for dinner?" he said with a grin. I smiled at the thought of him having a best friend and nodded, eager to meet him.

"We'll see if I approve," I said arrogantly, wiggling my eyebrows at him.

"Ha ha," he said, rolling his eyes. "You will."

I turned back to my room, admiring the walls and trying to imagine what my first step should be. If he let me, I could create an entire mural for this wall, sketching what I wanted in pencil and then painting it over when it was complete. It would be something dark for sure, with blacks and navy blues and then distinct white contrasting in my shapes. Would I do mountains or abstract shapes or something more personal?

"Enjoy," he said as he caught me imagining. He slipped out of the room and closed the door lightly behind him.