We're Jinxed - Chapter 10

Start from the beginning

"With this, someone with the right knowledge could build any Hextech device," Caitlyn avoided Vi's question, going on with what Natalia had been saying. "If enforcers are becoming more... aggressive, that's why."

"Bullshit," Natalia snorted. "The enforcers have been assholes since the beginning. The inflammation of violence happens every few years when shit is stirred up."

Caitlyn dropped her head, lost in thought as she rubbed her fingers against her temple. Ekko looked to Vi, lowering his voice to a murmur.

"We could beat Silco with this."

"That won't solve things," Caitlyn's head snapped back up, full attention back on the conversation.

"Easy for you to say," Ekko spat, the boy having no patience for the naive woman before him. He sent another accusing stare at Natalia. "Your people aren't dying all around you."

"Ekko," Caitlyn said softly, gently, but with an air of authority that made both Natalia and Vi look up at her. "It's wrong what's been done to you. You'd be well within your rights to keep it..."

Ekko's hate-filled eyes faltered, though his frown stayed firmly in place.

"I couldn't blame you," Caitlyn deliberated, looking down briefly. "But... if you do, the cycle of violence will never stop. This is our best shot at setting the record straight."

Caitlyn's eyes filled with determination. "This city needs healing. More than I ever realized. Please... let me help you."

Natalia's breath seemed to be caught in her throat. Never had she heard someone just whip up such a convincing speech in a matter of moments. She truly was a Piltie through and through.

Ekko looked to be thinking for a moment, before he looked back at Caitlyn. "You got a plan?"

"I have a friend on the Council. Let me take the Gemstone to him."

Ekko's reluctance was obvious, and all Vi and Natalia could do was watch the two's exchange, wondering where it would go and if it would end peacefully.

"He'll listen to me," Caitlyn reasoned, her voice slightly pleading. "Your people won't have to hide anymore."

Ekko looked at the stone between his fingers, before immediately making up his mind. "One condition," he said. "I'm the one who gives it to them."

———

It was an hour and a half later, and Vi and Natalia had went for a walk on their own, resting up before it was time to bring the Gemstone topside.

Dusk encroached upon the land faster than expected, sending ominous chills down Natalia's back. She wasn't one to get scared easily— she had went on hundreds of missions, fought so many people and creatures alike, and seen the scariest of places. But something about tonight felt... off. She could see Vi felt it too, by the way the girl's brows were furrowed harder than usual.

"Natalia," Vi said quietly, stopping in her tracks with her hands in her pockets as she looked to the other girl expectantly. Natalia halted, turning around to look at Vi with confused eyes.

"Yeah?"

"I can't figure you out," Vi gave a half amused, half frustrated chuckle. "I don't get you."

"Well, it's hard to analyze someone as pretty as me," Natalia smirked, teasing never out of the question for her. "Or someone as cool, confident..."

"Shut up," Vi chuckled, shaking her head as she looked up. She walked over to the edge of the small city's wall, leaning against it. Natalia followed suit. "I mean... what's your story? Why do you work for Silco? I just don't get it."