We're Jinxed - Chapter 9

TW; self harm

Darkness was the only thing Natalia saw when she began to regain consciousness. She didn't have the energy to wonder where she was or who she was with— not even to wonder if she was dead already or soon to be dead.

It had only been a few days in the time Natalia had met Vi and Caitlyn, but to Natalia, it had felt like a never ending cycle of constant change, life altering situations, and pain.

Her grip on the rope that bound her two wrists together tightened, and she couldn't stop the dread building in the pit of her stomach. It was like a plague— starting out small, in one place, before growing rapidly by the minute until it was unbearably everywhere, choking her.

She wearily blinked, eyelids fluttering open only for a moment before she let them fall once more. Exhaustion dragged her down, her muscles aching deeply.

As stupid as it was, she felt homesick. Not for the Lanes, not for her bed, nor Babette's Brothel. It was Jinx. Natalia couldn't stand the state that she was forced to leave Jinx in, probably hours from now. Hours... Days? Natalia didn't have the energy to figure out how long she'd been out.

Now, either Jinx thought they all abandoned her, or knows they were kidnapped and is coming to blow shit up. Either way, buildings, walls, and whatever else in Jinx's pathway could be expected to be blown into thousands of pieces.

It was dark, and so, so quiet. Goosebumps settled along her arms, her legs, every piece of skin that touch the chilly air. Natalia could feel the dark circles under her eyes, she could feel the way the dry air poked and prodded at the moisture in her skin until it sucked it all away.

All she could think about was how tired she was. Her worries soon subsided to afterthoughts, and her head, of which she noticed was encased in a sack, fell back against whatever she was strapped to.

Natalia would think about it later, she promised herself, letting the exhaustion overtake her. She would find her way out of this later. She would.

For now, she needed sleep.

———

Jinx practically threw Pow-Pow onto her work desk, her face wrinkled with her furious expression as she struggled with all her might to hold onto reality.

The voices wouldn't leave her alone, especially Mylo's. She groaned and sat down in her chair, staring herself down through her shattered mirror, which distorted her image.

You lost them. You lost them both.

"I didn't loose them," Jinx protested, clutching her vest tightly beneath her worn hands. "They took them!"

They're replacing you with the enforcer. You saw it.

"Vi and Natalia were there for me," Jinx objected, cocking her staple gun and hitting herself in the head a few times for good measure. "Not the enforcer!"

Remember her name?

"Why would I remember her name?" Jinx didn't hesitate, stapling together the wound she had earned when she was distracted from her own fights. She hit herself again, upset for forgetting to look out for Natalia.

"She's just some stupid Topsider!"

Jinx jolted again, the second staple sending more electric currents of pain throughout her leg. She let out grunts as she panted, going in for another quick staple before she sucked in a quick breath through her teeth, gritting them to hold herself together.

Blood seeped through her pant leg, but still she paid no mind, giggling from the adrenaline high and the hysteria as she stapled the second to last stitch into her leg. Ignoring the red gushing out of her leg, she had to stop the fourth time, gasping for air as everything went quiet.