Chapter 14

It was three days before they heard from Markus. Three agonizingly slow, boring days. Olive and Benjamin had yet to revisit their almost kiss. Benjamin had been popping in and out, juggling his Alpha duties with being at the cabin with her. Olive was restless when he was gone. She knew it was due to their Bond growing stronger, demanding they spend more time together, but she wouldn't admit it to Benjamin. She hated the thought of making him feel guilty for having other things to attend to besides her. Even though she desperately wanted to continue where they'd left off she let the subject drop. Surely it would come up again.

Markus showed up in the kitchen while Olive and Benjamin were having breakfast, his face rather grim. Olive's stomach turned a somersault. That look meant one thing, it couldn't possibly be good news. Markus waved Benjamin off when he tried to offer the doctor the other stool, leaning on the counter instead and fixing them both with a solid stare.

"I hate to say this, but I don't really have much to offer you. I've only heard back from one other elder so far. I'm waiting for others to do some deeper research, but as of right now, Elder Stefan from the Willow pack says he's never heard of anyone being able to mind-link without being part of a pack. Now, this isn't a definitive answer, I am still waiting on at least two other elders, maybe more if they know someone else to get in touch with, but I wanted to at least bring you up to speed on what I know."

Olive felt deflated. She had to swallow down the lump that was trying to grow in her throat. She refused to cry again until they had more information. Benjamin squeezed her knee reassuringly.

"Well that's not what I was hoping to hear but I'm not giving up yet," Benjamin said firmly. "There's got to be something out there."

He looked over at Olive.

"We still don't think you're crazy. There's something going on, I know there is."

Olive could only offer him a watery smile. Markus tipped his head at her.

"How's that ankle doing, Olive?"

She shrugged.

"It doesn't really bother me too much. These stupid crutches are killing my armpits though, to be honest."

"I know it probably doesn't help much but it should only be a few more weeks until we can take that boot off."

She chuckled dryly.

"Oh thanks, doc, you're nothing but a ray of sunshine today."

Benjamin snorted, quickly turning it into the world's most fake sounding cough when Markus glared at him.

"I'll let you guys know as soon as I have any more information. I have to get back though, Jenny Straight is about ready to pop and I have to be there for when that baby comes."

Benjamin nodded.

"Thank you, Markus. I appreciate you coming here in person."

"Of course, Alpha. Olive, you let me know if you need anything, okay? I'll see if I have some pads for those crutches somewhere and I'll send them over if I do."

"Thank you," she said quietly. Markus smiled gently at her before slipping quietly from the room. Olive let out a long breath when she heard the front door close.

"That's not the news I wanted," she whispered. She felt lost. Benjamin scooted his stool closer and slid his arm around her, rubbing her shoulder. Olive sniffled, trying to the tears back again but several dropped into her lap anyway.

"I wanted better news too. At least we have more elders checking into it, there's someone out there that can help."

He squeezed her shoulder.