Shit!

Present - Miami, Florida - James

What sounded like gagging echoing off the bathroom walls woke me up. I cracked an eye open and looked at the alarm clock on my bedside table and groaned. I still had an hour before I needed to get up for work. As I reached over to pull Danielle over to me, I found the bed empty and heard the noise again.

The door to our en suite was slightly ajar and the light peaked out around its edges. I sighed quietly and rubbed my eyes. I knew her staying home with Dylan was most likely going to resort to this. Tossing the covers off I padded across the carpeted floor to the bathroom.

Sure enough, Danielle had the seat raised and was emptying the contents of her stomach. She had her hair pulled back with an elastic band so when I sat beside her, I opted for rubbing her back.

"Hey, Cupcake," I said gently and was answered with a loud groan.

"How long have you been sick?"

"Few days," she choked out.

Dylan returned to school yesterday and yet, Danielle insisted she stay home at least one more day to make sure she wasn't going to need to pick Dill up from school. Also, what kind of idiot doesn't realize his girlfriend is sick? She had been going to bed a little earlier the last few days, but I just thought it was because she was exhausted from taking care of a sick kid.

"Can I get you anything?"

Danielle crossed her arms over the toilet hole and laid her head down on them to look at me. Her eyes were bloodshot, and her face was pale. She mumbled out a small scratchy, "no," then closed her eyes.

"How about some tea?" I asked gently while tucking a loose hair behind her ear. "Might help soothe your throat."

She cracked an eye open to look at me then nodded slowly before closing it again.

"Want me to move you back to bed?" My question was met with another bout of vomiting. When she was done, I kissed the top of her head and made my way to the kitchen to make her tea.

"I can stay home," I said to her a little while later as I was slipping on my shoes for work.

"Jamie, I'm fine," came her voice from under the covers on our bed.

Our bed.

She wasn't completely moved in yet because she's spent the week taking care of Dylan. But she did let her landlord know she would be out by the end of the month. Having my family under one roof and knowing it was permanent made me feel at peace.

Every night for the last month and a half I held my breath waiting to find out if she was staying. Crossed my fingers when we left work hoping she wouldn't ask to be dropped off at her place. Ever since that first night with her, I haven't been able to sleep alone. I'll toss and turn endlessly if her soft snores are not by my side.

I'm sure anyone who didn't know us would think we were moving way too fast. But I don't care. I've been waiting on this woman for five years and now that I've got her, I'm not letting her go.

We had Natalia and Dallas over for dinner the other night and finally told them about the change in our relationship. That went over better than expected really. Dallas ended up pouting about owing his wife a foot massage because she bet him that was why we were asking them over. Natalia had an 'I told you so' smirk directed at Danielle the rest of the night.

"I've got an appointment scheduled with doctor Conners later today," Danielle said pulling me from my thoughts. "Besides, you're already taking tomorrow off for the mediation meeting."