Little Moments

- 2016 - Miami, Florida - James

"Daddy!"

The scream that came from Dylan's bathroom had me on my feet and booking it down the hall. When I found this house I was surprised it had three bathrooms kind of rare for a four-bedroom if you ask me. But I figured the extra bath would come in handy as Dylan got older.

I got to the end of the hall and reached for the doorknob, locked. I knocked on the door loudly trying to keep my head. Hearing her cry through the door was not helping.

"Dylan open the door."

"Why is there so much blood?"

Fuck, what the hell happened, "Dylan open the door! I need to get in there."

"No!" her response seemed almost as if she was scared of my reaction to what was on the other side of the door. 

I pounded on the barrier separating my little girl from me. "Dylan! open this door right now or I'm calling for an ambulance and tearing it down."

Where did I put my screwdriver kit? I can undo the door handle and get in that way. My mind was running a million miles a minute. She's crying and there's blood, did she hurt herself? Oh, God, please tell me she didn't hurt herself. I've done everything I could think of to make sure she is safe, happy, and healthy. 

"Daddy," it was faint through her sobs but I heard it.

"What is it pickle?" I choked. If she was hurt I couldn't let her know I was falling apart out here. I needed to stay strong.

She sniffled and sobbed out, "I want Danny."

Well, that hurt like a bitch. What the hell could Santiago do that I couldn't. I jiggled the handle again hoping to twist it hard enough to snap the mechanisms inside and let me in.

"Please," her hushed sob broke my heart.

"I'll call an ambulance she can meet us at the hospital."

"I don't need a doctor daddy, just Danny."

I sighed and rested my forehead on the closed door, "promise me you're okay. I'll call Santiago as long as you promise me you're okay."

"I'm fine," she choked out.

I sighed and quickly made my way to the living room where I left my phone. While I'm glad Santiago and Dylan have gotten close, I hate that she didn't want me for whatever is going on. Santiago had become one of the family. She's around a lot, it's distracting sometimes. 

Mama has insisted she never misses a family dinner. Once a month when Pop and I take a fishing weekend, she joins my sisters and Dylan for some type of nail crap and do sleepover things. I guess I can see how they could have gotten close. 

But, I'm her father! She's in distress! She should need me! I ought to just find that damn screwdriver and take down the door.

I picked up my phone from where it fell on the floor in my haste and dialed Santigo.

"Hey," her voice sounded groggy like she had been sleeping. It was just a bit deeper than her usual sweet tone. This, of all times, wasn't when I should be thinking about waking up next to that voice in the morning after a night of damn good sex. No, fantastic sex, anything less wouldn't fit her.

I cleared my thoughts and my throat, "something's wrong with Dylan."

"What?" she sounds more alert than just a moment before. "What's going on?"

"I don't know," I answered. "She was screaming about blood and locked herself in the bathroom. She won't let me in or call an ambulance. I don't know what to do. She says she wants you. Should I call for a bus?"