•tape forty-one•

"He's just through that corridor," a man with a German accent tells the three of us.

"Okay, give us a sec," Bucky tells him. The man nods and walks away. "I'm gonna go in alone."

"Why?" Sam and I ask at the same time.

"'Cause you're both Avengers," Bucky says. "You know how he feels about that."

"Oh, he can suck my dick," I say. "Who gives a shit."

"Yeah, look," Sam says, "It's not like you two were known for frolicking in the sun together."

"He was obsessed with HYDRA."

"Red flag numero uno," I say.

"Oh, look at that," Sam says, turning to me. "You can actually see red flags."

"Way to come at me."

Bucky huffs. "Look, we have a history together. Trust me. I got it." He turns and walks away.

"He's gonna screw with his head," I tell Sam.

He sighs. "I know. I don't trust them alone together."

"What are you talking about, you want to break Zemo out of jail?" I ask Bucky as the three of us walk in a dark building with flashlights.

"Where are we, Buck? Have you lost your damn mind?" Sam asks.

"I'll help you find it," I tell Bucky, squinting my eyes in the darkness of the room.

"We have no leads, no moves, nothing," Bucky says.

"Yeah, what we have is one of the most dangerous men in the world behind bars," Sam says

"We also have eight Super Soldiers that are loose," Bucky says.

"Uh—Zemo's gonna mess with our minds," Sam says. "Especially yours. No offense."

Bucky turns on the lights, so we all turn off our flashlights. We're in an old car shop?

"Offense," he says. "Super Soldiers go against everything he believes in. He is crazy, but he still has a code." He walks over to Sam and I, standing in front of us. then turns and walks away.

"I've been on the wrong side of that code, Bucky, and so have you," Sam says, then points to me. "And so has she. He blew up the UN, he killed King T'Chaka and framed you for it. Did you forget about that?"

"I bet the Wakandans forgot about it," I say, earning a nod from Sam.

"They didn't," Sam adds. "I know why this matters to you, but it's pushing you off the deep end."

"Guys, we don't know how they're getting the serum," Bucky says. "We don't even know how many of them there are. Look, let me just walk you through a hypothetical. Can I walk you through a hypothetical?"

"Buck, what did you do?" I ask as Sam turns back to him.

Bucky shakes his head and looks to the side. "I didn't do anything." He looks back at the two of us. "The weakest point in any system isn't the software, the hardware, it's the meatware. The human element. Now, in this lockup, it's nine to one, prisoners to guards. And if two prisoners start fighting, then the protocol says four guards have to respond."

"So why would two prisoners randomly start fighting at that moment?" Sam asks.

Bucky shakes his head. "Who knows? There could be many reasons. But the point is, these things escalate. Lockdown procedures would have to be initiated, and with all those bodies flying around left and right, wouldn't be hard to slip down a hallways or two. And if the fire alarm got tripped while the prisoners were being separated, someone could use the chaos to their advantage."