Partners

Hendrix removed the cigarette from his mouth, dropping it to the floor and stepping on it with the heel of his shoe.

He looked around at the parents who were also waiting for their children. It had been a whole day since Trixie had left after their argument. He hadn't texted or called her. Instead, he'd given her space and chose to embrace the empty feeling that had set in his chest.

He felt someone coming near him and turned around to see his partner, giving him a small nod and not saying anything else; he'd rather not cause a scene. 

"How are you?"

Hendrix's jaw clenched as he turned to face Easton Spear. He didn't really feel like speaking to the man who was supposed to be his partner and instead had simply abandoned him.

Little did he know, Easton had only accepted the alliance for Trixie. Nothing else.

"You know exactly how I am" Hendrix spat "the mafia is failing cause we've failed missions and my girlfriend was God knows where last night"

Easton's stomach dropped a little. That's why Trixie appeared on his doorstep. They'd argued.

She must've been so upset and I gave her no comfort. Instead I blew smoke in her mouth and called her Shortcake. I really am an idiot. She probably hated me for that, that's probably why she wanted to leave so quick this morning, to get away from me. Why did I do that?

Easton was in a good mind to deliver a right hook to Hendrix's jaw for upsetting Trixie. He felt his fists clenching when he noticed the nonchalant tone in his voice. He didn't even care for where she was last night. If he made her cry-

"You should know" began Easton, calming himself down a little.

"Mafia alliances only mean that we share resources. I'm not obliged to help you on any kind of mission unless I'm asked to by the Chief, Mattia-"

"Please" scoffed Hendrix "Mattia doesn't even care about the m-"

"Watch your tongue, Hendrix-" interrupted Easton, glancing over Hendrix's shoulder to see his little sister spotting him from across the playground. He smiled at her, giving her a bright wave as she walked over. He placed a hand on her shoulder as she stood beside him. She was of similar height to Daisy.

"It could get you in trouble"

And with nothing else, he turned around, leading Ellie to his blacked out Range Rover which sat neatly in the middle of the parking lot.

Hendrix watched him walk away, his blood boiling. He hated being in this position. Inferior. It did something to him and he couldn't help but recognise that same empty feeling he'd had ever since Trixie left.

"Hi"

He felt a small hand tugging on his trousers and turned around to see Daisy standing in front. He smiled, reaching down to pick her up and kiss her nose.

"How was school?" he asked her. But there was a small frown on her face as he set her on the ground again, taking her hand.

"What's wrong?"

"When's Trixie coming back?" she asked, looking up at him with a sombre expression. Hendrix exhaled heavily, shaking his head as they approached his car.

"I don't know, D"

He missed her. Oh, he missed her more than anything. There wasn't a single second where he didn't regret yelling or losing his temper with her.

All for what? All she was doing was trying to look out for him. He frowned as Daisy got in the front seat. He'd do anything to relive that day again but do everything the right way.

-

Trixie walked into the house. Easton had dropped her off on his way to the school to get his younger sister. She didn't live in his mansion, though. He had a safe house for her, somewhere far away from the mansion so she could never be harmed by anything mafia related.

"Hello?"

Trixie's voice simply echoed in the hallway and into the kitchen. There was absolutely no one in the house. Her eyes wandered to the door to the basement where she could make out the faint sound of several voices, all speaking at the same time.

She opened the door, making her way downstairs and catching an awful sight.

Soldiers, everywhere. Typing frantically, reading blueprints anxiously, training like their lives depended on it. One of them locked eyes with Trixie, alarm in his eyes. In a way, Trixie was their saviour. A sense of relief spread through the room when they saw her walk in.

"All of you" she ordered, raising her voice. They stopped what they were doing immediately, putting down whatever was in their hands and looking at her.

"You're dismissed. For the week"

They all exchanged a thankful look with Trixie before leaving the basement and returning to their homes. Hendrix often forgot that, she thought. He forgot they too had a life.

Trixie walked out of the basement, closing the door and locking it behind her. She didn't want anyone in there for as long as possible. The longer they stayed out of the basement, the better. She glanced upstairs, looking at their bedroom which seemed vacant.

She walked upstairs, down the hallway to their room. The door was only open a crack. It had only been one night yet it felt like she'd ben away for a month.

She pushed the door open with the tips of her fingers. Clothes sprawled everywhere. Her hoodie was in bed on her side. Had Hendrix slept with an item of her clothing?

Trixie's eyes travelled across to the front of the room where the TV was. Hendrix's voice appeared in her head. Though, not the soft, warm voice she was used to. But the controlling one. The one she'd only known for less than 24 hours yet it had already left a mark on her.

She felt her eyes pricking with tears as she placed a hand on her chest, his voice getting louder in his head. She backed up against the wall, a stream of tears falling down her face as she breathed fast, trying to get as much air into her lungs as possible.

Turning her back on everything, she flew out of the room, lowering herself to the ground as she tried to recover from her panic attack.

She took her phone out. 3pm. Hendrix would be home any minute with Daisy. She just didn't know if she was ready to see him again. She raised her phone to her ear, resting her head against the wall.

"Hi, can I stay over?"

Easton smiled gently on the other side of the phone. Her voice was sending his brain into overdrive. Everything she did, it required no effort and yet she still made it beautiful.

"Of course, I'll pick you up"

"No" she said, a little too sharply. She squeezed her eyes shut for a second, trying to regain composure. At least this time he knew why she was saying no.

"I- I'll see you soon, don't worry"