Chapter Four - Run To You

~1947~

Over the course of the next week, Elayne refused to go inside the manor. Instead, she spent all of her time in the garden, trying everything she could to revive the flowers.

On day eight, Elayne had successfully brought all of the plants and flowers back to life.

She slowly walked down the path, towards the gazebo, admiring all of the beautiful colors that surrounded the garden. She came to a stop when she stepped into the gazebo, leaning against the railing.

Elayne sat and admired the fruits of her hard work. When she noticed movement in one of the library windows, she slid off the railing and walked out onto the paved path. A bright smile lit up her face as she waved at Tom.

Even though he was quite a way away, Elayne unmistakably saw the small twitch of his lips.

She watched as he turned around and walked away from the window.

A sigh passed through her lips as her smile fell. Tom had flat out refused to come out to the garden. He had told her it wasn't something he enjoyed, the flowers and such.

Giving the garden one last glance, Elayne trudged inside, brushing as much dirt from her skirt as she could.

Once she was back inside, she went in search of Tom.

It wasn't hard to find him, considering he was where he normally was, sitting at the table in the middle of the library, going over a multitude of papers and maps.

"Are you ever going to tell me what it is you're searching for?" Elayne asked as she approached.

Glancing up, Tom shook his head. "It's nothing you need to concern yourself with."

Rolling her eyes, Elayne sat down opposite of Tom, resting her chin in her hands. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's what you always say. But it seems important, so it makes me curious."

Tom looked up at her, staring for a brief moment before sighing. "It really is boring. I'm trying to locate some artifacts."

Elayne raised an eyebrow. "For Mister Borgin?" She questioned.

Tom hummed in respond. "Something like that."

"What are you going to do once you've located them?" She asked, eyes going to the map and various documents scattered in front of Tom.

Tom tried his best to hold back an annoyed sigh. "I'll go and get them, of course."

Looking up at Tom, Elayne could instantly tell that he was growing irritated by her questions. "Well, I'll leave you to it then, I guess." She stood from the table and pushed her chair in. "I think I'll go to our room and floo Livy. She was wanting to talk about our trip."

This caught Tom's attention. He looked up at her with an eyebrow raised. "What trip are you talking about?"

Elayne felt her cheeks heat up. "Did I... Did I forget to tell you about our girl's trip?"

Narrowing his eyes at his fiancée, Tom shook his head. "You never said anything about such a trip."

Looking down at the table, Elayne's bottom lip worked it's way between her teeth. "I'm sorry, Tom. I thought I had told you. I guess I just got so distracted with working out in the garden, that I forgot." Blue eyes glanced up to meet brown. "I'm sorry. Please don't be angry."

Tom reached up and pinched the bridge of his nose. He felt a headache coming on. "Tell me about it now. When are you going and how long will you be gone?"