Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Jamie

There was silence for a while. I looked at the old man who signaled me to come with him and I obliged.

"I have something very important to tell you, I was working under Carlo's parents for a few years before he was born, I've seen all the brotherhood between the 2 men, the love and selflessness between them." He took a deep breath and continued.

"Soon, both the women of the family, Carlo's mom and Calareanne's mom were carrying. 9 months later, Carlo and Calareanne were born on the same day............ but they were born to the same mother, they were both born to Mrs. Melle, Carlo's mother. They were twins, born together, with the same blood. On the other hand, Mrs. Lentas lost her child, she had a miscarriage."

I was shocked, shocked to the extent that I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Can you please say that again?" I asked, puzzled and confused.

"Yes, you heard it right. Calareanne and Carlo are twins born to Mrs. Melle who was their actual mother, she too like her husband had a huge heart, did everything to keep people around her happy. Mrs. Lentas on the other hand wasn't mentally strong, she'd spent the later part of the 9months worrying and being unsure of herself. Mr. and Mrs. Melle knew that the news of their child's death is going to kill her inside out. They together decided that they'll give one of their children to Mr. and Mrs. Lentas. They knew that they'll be living together, they thought that they'd see both their children grow together, but that didn't happen. Mr. and Mrs. Lentas both didn't know that Calareanne wasn't their child initially. But... as the children grew, Mr. Lentas, grew bitter, started doubting his wife, manipulated her into doing what he wanted. Plotted to kill the entire family for the sake of property."

"Why did he kill her then?"

"Because he didn't need her for anything, he'd have the money sooner or later. According to me, he now knows that Carl and Calareanne are blood-related siblings, and that's why all this."

All the lost pieces of the puzzle came together, slowly but surely. "Why didn't you tell anyone about this?"

"I had sworn not to reveal this to anyone, Mr. Melle didn't want Calareanne to drift away from Mr. and Mrs. Lentas, neither did he want to complicate things. He told me that it was a secret that should stay with me till death, but now I've broken it because I don't want to see those children die."

"How do you know about this?" I asked.

"I was there when they kept the baby beside Mrs. Lentas. I saw everything, questioned.. but.... then no one knew that Mr. Lentas would turn to be a rogue." the man just completed when I heard Romie and Calareanne call me. "You can tell them if you want." He said and walked ahead.

I knew I was going to tell them, either in the car or in the hospital. They needed to know this.

It was quite some time since we were here, I wondered why the timer hadn't rung yet. I tried opening my phone but it was dead, I asked the man what the time was, and it was 10 past 12. I had no time to jitter away.

I reach for Carl's stretcher and see that he was crying. Tear droplets by his ear. I wiped it and whispered in his ear. "Carl, I'm going to save you no matter what and know that I love you!