Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Jamie

I opened the notepad app that Carl was using yesterday, it had everything he'd done since we arrived here, I immediately started reading, I didn't have the time to read through all of it, but I tried my best.

Carl had mentioned everything from our stop at the gas station the day we arrived to our walk, our last walk, the evening before he died.

Calareanne's name gave him the panic attack the first time, he wrote that, as I asked him if he knew her, the images of his childhood started flashing in his mind and he couldn't control it at all. Same with the beach, now putting it all together, it was the death of his little sister on the beach that caused him the phobia of the sea, because each time he saw the sea, those tragic memories are trying to be restored. His memory loss, his nature were all a result of that one incident.

He wrote about the doctor giving him 2 injections, trying to stabilize him. He wrote about the times he puked out blood, tons of blood. He wrote about me, he wrote about Romie, the secrets she'd told him, the truth she'd brought to light. Carl's writing was so detailed that he even mentioned the ice cream that we ate on the 20th of September along with the 19 other dishes. He wrote everything, but did I find a clue, NO.

I felt like I relived my entire trip in his eyes. I was starting to feel disheartened for not finding even a single clue, that's when I realise that Romie, she knows the people who killed his entire family, who burned down the house, who caused Carl all the pain. She knew. I was starting the car when the dashboard rammed open when the medicine I'd bought for Carl fell out. I felt a pierce in my heart, it's my fault, I should've given him the medicine, Carl would have been with me, but now he isn't because I didn't give him the damn medicine. I let out a shriek, I was so done. So it was my fault after all.

I started driving back, the words of the chemist echoing in my head, "A slight increase in the dosage would lead to death". The same doctor gave him 2 injections of the medicine to soothe his panic attacks, the same doctor prescribed this medicine. What if it were something in what he injected, that had to be neutralized with the medicine I had. There was no other way Carl could die but from the medicines he had.

I drove faster as I had only an hour before the burial. I passed the gas station,I felt the urge to stop and ask him about everything but.... But I wanted to go back and meet the doctor, Romie, Calareanne, Mr. Lentas and Romie to get my questions answered.