▪︎ 34 ▪︎

It's ten am, which means that I've only been up for two hours. But honestly it feels like so much longer. I could go to my room right now, close the curtains and collapse into my bed. I'd stay there, hopefully asleep for hours. Enough that Noah would quit bugging me. As I walked into the kitchen looking for coffee, I just know that Noah wanted something. My brother who hardly ever cooks or cleans, was doing just that. He was cooking bacon and cheese omelets, which I always loved when we were younger. Noah would make them for me, but only really when he wanted something from me or someone I knew. That's how I knew that Noah wanted something, I prepared myself for battle right then.

For the last two hours, I've been fielding Noah off. It really didn't take him that long to spill what he wants from me. Five minutes of me staring at him over my breakfast omelet had him all twitchy and fidgeting. I knew that my next action would break him, so I went in for the kill. I lifted my eyebrows and started wiggling them in suspicion. After that he sang like a canary. It was that moment that started this game. I regret weaseling it out out of him now.

I manage to block him out for another thirty minutes before he apparently decides to bring in the big guns. Soon I have my little boy standing in front of me with his best puss in boots innocent look. Noah is pure evil for bringing my little angel into this. He knows exactly what he's doing too.

,,Mommy? Can we please go with uncle Noah, aunt Gwen and James?" Ryan asks me in his cute little voice.

,,Sweetie, you can absolutely go with them. They want to spend time with you and take you to the most amazing places. I really don't mind, I can stay at home and get some house work done while you guys are out." I say this with fake excitement in my voice. But inside I feel kinda sad, I'd love to go out with my little boy, brother and sister in law. I can't though, because I know that wherever they plan on us going probably won't be cheap. I can't afford to go, not right now anyway. I'm not taking it away from Ryan though, he needs and wants to spend time with his aunt and uncle. Noah and Gwen wouldn't offer if they didn't want to spend time with their nephew.

,,But mommy, auntie Gwen and uncle Noah want you to come too. They said that they never see us and want to have some family time. Uncle Noah said that we're going bowling and to play in the arcade too. Isn't that cool? I want you to come mommy. I want to have some fun with everyone. I'll miss you so much if you don't come." Ryan keeps prattling on and honestly I feel my reserve slipping. He's been talking non stop for about fifteen minutes, when I've just enough and sorta give up.

,,Okay honey stop, I'm going to talk to your uncle and I promise to think really hard about it, but you can't be too disappointed, okay?" He nods his head happily before hugging me and running off to his room.

With a deep breath I head to the kitchen to confront my brother. Sitting at the table, Noah and Gwen are across from each other holding hands and whispering. They look really happy, more so Gwen but my brother is practically glowing too. I wonder what that's about. Pushing that thought back, I sit down so I'm basically between them or as good as really.

,,Listen big bro, I really appreciate you putting so much time into Ryan. He really admires and looks up to you, so thank you for being so willing to spend time with him. I really don't mind you taking him out places, but I really don't have to go. You guys can have some nephew time."

,,No, you listen lil sis. First of all, you really don't have to thank me for that. Ryan is my nephew, I love him and that will never be different. Gwen loves him too, we were both so excited to come here and spend time with him. Get to know the little guy that I hardly ever see. I'm not taking a dig at you, just saying the truth. I know why you stay here and don't want to leave. But Chlo, Ryan isn't the only reason we're here right now and you know it. I couldn't have gone much longer without seeing my amazing little sister. I was missing you so much, the phone calls aren't always enough to quench that. But since we got here, I've still been missing my sister, she's here in this house, but never really spends that much time with me. Every time we've asked you to do something with us you say no Chlo and I think I know why. Its not because you don't have time because I know about the diner fire. You've been off since it happened."