Chapter 24

Squinting my eyes open from my sleep, I realise the space beside me on the bed is still empty. Reaching for my phone on the nightstand I check the time, my eyes squinting further from the sudden brightness of the screen.

2:30am. I frown, realising that I have been asleep for nearly two hours and Arlo still hasn't come back from his office when he said he would.

Throwing the covers off of me I stand from the bed. I pull Arlo's shirt I am wearing down abit more then smooth my hair and leave room.

Heading down the hall and down a flight of stairs, I walk towards his office door. Right when I am nearing it, Alonzo walks out. With him seeing me, I throw him a nod and go to walk past him but he grabs me by my arm firmly, stopping me.

Giving him a questioning look I open my mouth to speak. He brings one finger up in front of my face as if to say 'just a second', right at that moment a loud shattering noise is heard against Arlo's closed office door making me nearly jump. Instantly knowing what is going on, my accusing eyes land on Alonzo whose hand is still wrapped around my arm.

"What did you do?"

Smirking at my question, he gives my arm a pat before walking away.

Shaking my head I walk forwards, taking a breath I slowly swing open the door to reveal glass covering the floor in front of my feet and what looks and smells of alcohol mixed with it.

"I swear to fucking god, Alonzo. You-" Arlo speaks angrily from his desk, lifting his head up from his hands his glare softens once he realises it's me.

"Mags." His low voice speaks, he looks at where I am standing. "Do not walk in- I." He stops to clear his throat. "There is glass."

"Yeah." I speak up looking around me before my eyes land on his. "I heard."

He runs a hand over his face. "What happened, Arlo? Did Alonzo say something?" When I am met with no reply and his eyes aren't even on me anymore, I look to the floor- looking for the best place to walk. Sighing out i start to slowly step around the glass watching each step i take carefully.

I hear shuffling coming from Arlo. "Maggie, stop. The fuck are you thinking?"

"Shh, you're annoying me. I'm all good- ahh shit." I go to grab my foot acting as if I am in pain. Arlo quickly turns up in front of me, moving me to where the glass isn't- muttering profanities to me though my laughter cuts him short.

"I'm kidding," I tell him.

"Are you for real?" He lets me go, shaking his head.

"Did that make you regret throwing the glass?" I ask him with a smirk.

He shakes his head in disbelief at me, sitting on his desk. "I regretted it as soon as I saw it was you who walked in."

I stand there for a moment, watching his tired features. "Are you going to tell me what is going on now?" I ask him.

He only runs a hand over his stubble, smoothing it. Frowning, I step forward in front of him so we're eye level. My hands holding both sides of his face so he looks at me.

"Arlo," I softly say. He looks at me, exhaling he takes my hands- holding them in his lap.

"Is it about the two guys that were following us earlier?"

His jaw ticks from my question. He shakes his head, I just cannot find anything about them- or who they are and what the fuck they were doing."

I nod, watching his eyes then go to our hands. "I know, Arlo. But... sometimes we just don't know. We can't know everything, Arlo. No matter how frustrating it may be. It is a part of the job unfortunately. You can't always have the answers."