Chapter 16

Three weeks.

Three weeks since the accident. Three weeks of healing. Three weeks since I've seen or spoken to Danny. Three weeks of meetings. Three more weeks of being a part of the Mafia. Three weeks since I've spoken to Arlo.

I've lost track on how long i have been part of The Knights now. The days turn into weeks, while the weeks turn into months. But is it bad to say that i actually enjoy being a part of The Knights? The Mafia. That's what it is right? How can somebody enjoy being part of something so dark and corrupted? 

I've grown up with violence. It's basically all i really know. I never used to though, i always thought my Parents were normal, with normal jobs, a normal career, a normal life. My Dad being a member of a Gang never crossed my mind when they passed. So violence really is all i know. It's normal to me. My life is a 'Kill or be killed' kind of life. That's how the saying goes right?

This life was destined for me. Call it fate. Or a horrible curse.

Since the car accident and Danny and Dane's arrival because of Arlo, I've been withdrawn. Well, more withdrawn than usual.

I stay hidden in my room as much as i can, not wanting to see or speak to anybody. When i do come out of my room, it's to attend meetings with The Knights. I make sure i am the first one out of the meeting as soon as it finishes.

Noah keeps asking how I'm feeling and if i want to train with him again once i feel better. I only reply with a 'I'm fine' and dismiss any other questions he asks. Blaine and Alonzo only glance at me when they see me, Blaine gives me a curt nod of his head while Alonzo only gives me an unreadable expression. As if he knows something i don't.

Arlo and i do not say a word to one another, but his stares speak more than words. The longing, worried filled glances he sends me as i avoid him through the estates halls. The look of him holding himself back from something when we pass eachother through the halls. The stares he sends me in the meetings, the stares i try hard to ignore. The look of pain that i don't miss that crosses his features when he see's me make a sudden move that hurts my injuries.

Once when i was laying in bed late at night unable to sleep, i heard a nearby door open with footsteps that led to my door. I could see the shadow of this person from the crack beneath the door, the hallway light was on letting me see the clear outline of this person. They were just standing there, for minutes. Not moving once, as if debating whether to walk in or not. They eventually left, a door that sounded right next to mine closing shut. I'm sure it was Arlo. I just know it was him. I was glad he didn't come in, but another part of me was left disappointed that he didn't walk in. And that surprised me.

The more the days went on, the more angry he would become. His once worried, concerned expressions when he saw me, now slowly turning into annoyed, pissed off, angry, hard glare expressions whenever he laid eyes on me. He would lash out more often- not at me, but everyone else. There was one time where i saw Arlo and Alonzo speaking in hushed tones. Arlo didn't look at all pleased with whatever Alonzo was saying to him, Arlo looked as if he wanted to kill Alonzo. And i think if Alonzo were anybody else, he would have.

I just feel betrayed. I don't know what i was expecting from being here, what i was expecting from Arlo. But i just cannot help but feel betrayed. But that's okay. It's okay because i get to go back to the emotionless Maggie. The one who get jobs done without a thought. The one who keeps to herself. The one who feels nothing.

My injuries are slowly healing. My neck doesn't feel so stiff and sore, my ribs are getting there, still hurts like a bitch when i do certain things but pain relief is helping with that. My broken collar bone is a heap better, Richie says i can remove the sling by next week. I'm going to Physical Therapy sessions regularly here at the estate with Don as well.